Sugarcraft Gun

Decorating By Dessert_Diva Updated 11 Jul 2009 , 2:34pm by Dessert_Diva

Dessert_Diva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dessert_Diva Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 2:35am
post #1 of 6

I just received my Sugarcraft Gun which I ordered after making yet another unevenly rolled fondant rope....the gun seems kinda small and the amount of paste that would fit in also seems like a small amount. I envision having to attach several pieces together to get around even an 8" cake. Having never used one, is it worth the $40?

5 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 2:55am
post #2 of 6

In my opinion, no, it's not worth the $40--I have it, too, but never use it.
You'll need to knead in a fair amount of crisco and, yes, you'll need to piece it.

I prefer my Makins Ultimate Extruder--the silvery green metal barreled extruder with a T twist handle. The barrel is at least twice as long and you get a nice long rope out of it. You can google it and buy it online, including on Ebay.

Rae

Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 3:23am
post #3 of 6

I have the makins extender I got mine at Hobby Lobby had a 40% off Coupon and only paid 15.00 for it I love it it works great for me

Molly

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 3:38am
post #4 of 6

dessert _diva..i have the one ,you are talking about . had it for 13 years. love it ..love it.. so , no you have not wasted your money.. our famous sharon zambit... shows it in her dvd's .. and sell it on line.. you can,t get any better than her.. or jennifer dontz.. she uses a great big one.. show it on her dvd's .. there dvd's are GREAT!

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 3:38am
post #5 of 6

If you have a cookie press you can use it as well to extrude fondant. I have both the hand model and the electric and both a great if you want a slightly larger rope type border.

Dessert_Diva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dessert_Diva Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 2:34pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks all - I really appreciate all of the comments. Amazon sells another one but at $65 so I'm assuming it holds more and makes more. I was just a little disappointed and since I'm new venturing into cake decorating instead of desserts/pastries, etc. it's starting to get expensive with all of the "toys"....but for some reason I can't handroll a rope to save my life! ha ha. I'll check out the Makins product as well. Again, thanks.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%