What The Best All Purpose Size For A Pearl Border?

Decorating By Bellatheball Updated 22 Apr 2010 , 9:15pm by cherrycakes

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 2:25am
post #1 of 11

I want to get one online but I'm not sure which size to get. TIA

10 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 10:44pm
post #2 of 11

I use the 8mm size almost exclusively for borders. Not too big, not too small.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 11:52am
post #3 of 11

Thanks Costume. I've been wondering myself!

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 12:07pm
post #4 of 11

I really like the First Impressions silicone that has 6,8 and 10 mm all together. The price is about the same as the one that is only 8mm. I use the 8mm most often though.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 12:13pm
post #5 of 11

I use 8mm and 5mm depending on the cake.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 2:41pm
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilvest

I really like the First Impressions silicone that has 6,8 and 10 mm all together. The price is about the same as the one that is only 8mm. I use the 8mm most often though.

Cool! That sounds like the best deal! Thanks!!

lorrieg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorrieg Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 5:32pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsilvest

Cool! That sounds like the best deal! Thanks!!

They don't make full pearls do they? They end up with flat backs I believe.

If you decide to get one of the CK molds, 8 mm is probably the one you will use the most.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 7:40pm
post #8 of 11

I use the blue double-sided mold, press out about 5 strings of them (100 pearls) at a time, then re-roll them. It makes them look better than if you just take them out of the mold and put them directly on the cake. I can do them in advance then just put them on the cake as I need them. It takes a little longer, but I've gotten fast now. I can do about 400 pearls, enough for an average cake, in about an hour. It's my tv-watching activity. icon_smile.gif

audrey0522 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audrey0522 Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:02am
post #9 of 11

What do you mean by re-rolling them? Also, what do you use fondant, gumpaste or a mix? How far in advance can they be made? I was hoping maybe several weeks but I wondered if they would get to hard and you could not put them on a curved side. Do you dust the mold with anything to make them look like pearls? What would be best to use when using white MMF. Sorry for all the questions! Thank you! !

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 1:32am
post #10 of 11

I have the 8mm. I like making big cakes and to me, I feel ike 8mm is so drawrfed out. I prefer 10mm.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 22 Apr 2010 , 9:15pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I use the blue double-sided mold, press out about 5 strings of them (100 pearls) at a time, then re-roll them. It makes them look better than if you just take them out of the mold and put them directly on the cake. I can do them in advance then just put them on the cake as I need them. It takes a little longer, but I've gotten fast now. I can do about 400 pearls, enough for an average cake, in about an hour. It's my tv-watching activity. icon_smile.gif

Costumeczar: How far in advance do you make your pearls?

Also, would you mind explaining what you mean by re-rolling the pearls? Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%