Non Toxic?

Decorating By Elise87 Updated 11 Jul 2009 , 7:09am by Elise87

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 2:01am
post #1 of 10

Is clear book covering/contact non toxic? Like would it be ok to come in contact with buttercream?

9 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 2:07am
post #2 of 10

Probably not.

I have one rule of thumb if I'm unsure about the "food safety" factor of something.......when in doubt, I don't use it.

Elise87 Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 2:13am
post #3 of 10

yeh i figured that lol just thought i'd ask anyway icon_smile.gif

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 2:31am
post #4 of 10

You didn't say what you were using it for. If its to cover cake boards you can use press'n seal. It works great!
HTH

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 2:43am
post #5 of 10

You didn't say what you were using it for. If its to cover cake boards you can use press'n seal. It works great!
HTH

Elise87 Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 2:49am
post #6 of 10

Oh sorry should be more specific lol yep for cake boards. I was thinking if i found some nice wrapping paper i could maybe cover it with something clear to water/grease proof it.

I havn't seen press and seal over here is Aust, so if i can't find that anything else that can be recommended for what i need?

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 3:05am
post #7 of 10

You can cover the paper with clear contact paper--it's just fine.

You need to be sure that the cake sitting on it has a barrier (another cake board the same size as the cake, parchment paper, wax paper, saran, etc.) between the cake and the contact paper.

Clear contact paper is fine for "incidental contact" with food (like the border on a cake), but not for long term contact. No food should come in contact with colored contact papers because there is lead in those dyes.

I have this info from the makers of contact paper--Kitterich, Inc.

HTH
Rae

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 3:07am
post #8 of 10

If it isn't made to be used with food then no it isn't food safe. There is a different because food safe and non toxic.

I think the issues with the peal and stick paper you are talking about is the glue and that it could get cut when cutting the cake and people will have pieces of plastic in their cake slices.

What alot of people do that want to use something like that is to place your cake on another board on top of the decorative board. That way you have your pretty base board and your cake siting on something safe as well.

Elise87 Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 3:16am
post #9 of 10

yeh i totally understand. I was thinking of putting the cake on like a paper doily then putting it on the board but wasn't sure if it was ok if a bit of the buttercream was in contact with the contact paper, but the idea of another cake board is good also cose i didn't think of that.

Elise87 Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 7:09am
post #10 of 10

thanks for all your help everyone icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%