Thinning Your Bc.......?

Decorating By CanadianCakin Updated 10 Jul 2009 , 7:54pm by CanadianCakin

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 3:20pm
post #1 of 7

I was just wondering what you use to thin your BC? When I use milk it turns quickly I can no longer use it..like a few hours if it's not in the fridge. What do you use? Corn syrup? Water?

Thanks so much I am tired of throwing out BC!

~Ashley

6 replies
mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 7

I occasionally use milk, but more often coffee creamer. icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 5:06pm
post #3 of 7

Many people make their icing with milk and leave it out for days with out a problem.

I use water in my buttercream so I use that to thin it as well.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 6:49pm
post #4 of 7

I use milk and store it in an acrylic container on my counter for days. Sometimes there may be what looks like an oil separation, but I just stir it up with a big spoon and it's an even better texture than a fresh batch.

LillyLou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LillyLou Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 6:58pm
post #5 of 7

What buttercream recipe are you all using? I've always refrigerated my buttercream, even the kind that doesn't use butter, along with the cake.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 7:05pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLou

What buttercream recipe are you all using? I've always refrigerated my buttercream, even the kind that doesn't use butter, along with the cake.

This is the only icing I've ever used for 30 years: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6992-Indydebis-Crisco-Based-Buttercream-Icing.html
I've never refrigerated it. Never even thought about refrigerating icing. As I've learned from being on CC, the milk and sugar stablize each other.

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 7:54pm
post #7 of 7

Hmm ok thanks all maybe it is just the fats kind of separating. I guess you would know Debi it is your recipe I use most of the time! Sometimes I use a half butter half Crisco for my DH, though! Thanks again I'll try stirring it up and see if that helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%