Petal Dust- Do You Use It?

Decorating By maruskab Updated 11 Jul 2009 , 9:58am by brincess_b

maruskab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maruskab Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 12:04pm
post #1 of 6

Do you use petal dusts?
I don´t know, what kind of it to pick. What brand is the best for you?

I have an opportunity to buy "Professional Colour Kit by Squires Kitchen - dust colour set", but I don´t know if it will be good for me icon_redface.gif

Or... do you prefer paste colours?

I need colours mainly for sugar flowers and to finish patchwork cutouts.

Thanks!

5 replies
mkm25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkm25 Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 1:06pm
post #2 of 6

I am self-taught when it comes to petal dust, but I'll tell you what I've learned...

I use petal dust mostly on gum paste flowers. You can just brush the dust on with a dry brush. Before I brush the color on the flower, I tap it on the inside of the petal dust cap to get rid of excess dust. This will prevent you from getting TOO much color and splotches. I usually wait for my petals to dry completely before I dust them, unless the dried shape is too difficult to get into all the nooks and crannies. icon_smile.gif

After I finish dusting the flowers, I hold them over a pot of boiling water for a few seconds. This melts the dust and blends the colors really nicely. You can also use a clothes steamer if you have one.

For my flowers, I use Crystal Colors and CK. Keep in mind that I'm a beginner so those are just the ones I've found in stores near me - I only have about 8 colors though! icon_smile.gif

I have also used the gold and silver dusts made by Wilton. For those, I usually mix them with a little bit of clear alcohol and paint them onto details of a cake. For example, I used the silver + alochol on the stethoscope cakes in my gallery.

I hope this helps!

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 1:37pm
post #3 of 6

You absolutely need dusts for gumpaste flowers. They are what bring the flower to life. You also need paste in order to shade the gumpaste and then the dust changes everything. Wait and see. I am always amazed and impressed when I get to the dusting stage at how realistic it makes them look.

I use corn flour and dust to brush my flowers. The corn flour will dilute the color and helps it brush on not so strongly. Use a paper towel and put a tsp. of corn flour and then some dust and as you would mix paint, mix the 2 together to get the shade you want.

If you have an opportunity to get a nice selection of dusts, then go for it. thumbs_up.gif

Make sure you have enough of greens, shades of dark to lime green are a must for leaves.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 12:22am
post #4 of 6

I use the FDA approved dust called Crystal Colors. I love them and a little goes a long way.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 1:14am
post #5 of 6

I've never heard of Crystal Colors before. Thanks for sharing!

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 11 Jul 2009 , 9:58am
post #6 of 6

paste colours and dusts are really for different things.
paste colours are for mixing in with your icings.
dusts are for coating the finished item.
although you can paint with paste, and can mix dusts into your icing too, it generally goes the other way.

for sugar flowers, you would want to mix the colour into your gumpaste (paler rther than darker just incase) then you build up the detail/ colour with the dusts. makes a world of difference.

i dont know what is in that set, but make sure you have a couple of differnt greens, it helps a lot with the leaves.
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%