Layers Per Tier

Decorating By denette Updated 10 Jul 2009 , 11:25pm by indydebi

denette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denette Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 2:12am
post #1 of 6

I have always done only two layers per tier, but lately some of my stacked cakes look a little "squatty" and short. Speaking about 2 inch layers, do you use two or three layers?

5 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 2:34am
post #2 of 6

I use two two inch tall cakes and torte them both, giving me 4 one inch layers of cake. When you put in three layers of filling and ice it the cake is usually 4.5 or so in tall.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 6:51am
post #3 of 6

It depends on the look I am going for. I've done 2 layers and I've done 7 layers of cake. Usually, I would torte my two 2 inch cake so I get four layers.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 12:37pm
post #4 of 6

No matter how many layers you use, the industry standard for a tier is about 4 inches. If you do larger tiers (i.e. 6 inches), be aware of what size plates the cake is being served on. A 6" slice of cake on a 6" plate can look messy, with potential overhang.

denette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denette Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 11:15pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks. I guess I've been a little scared of torting because I don't want the cake to slide on the filling (when it's hot outside). Any advice there?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 11:25pm
post #6 of 6

If torting, reduce the amount of filling between each layer. Smaller layers of cake ... smaller amt of filling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%