Aug Wedding ~ Deposit Down, Still No Design Chosen.

Business By kellertur Updated 10 Jul 2009 , 12:29am by kellertur

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 10:53pm
post #1 of 6

I was wondering the proper course of action in handling wedding orders. I have several Aug. weddings with deposits taken, tastings, etc.
Here's my problem~ (sorry so long)

The couple getting married first, hasn't even committed to a design yet... is this common? I've only given a "rough" quote based on approx servings and "style" of the cake... they don't even seem to care about the design of their cake. I've drawn several designs, even worked with the bride and they seemed to really like the last one, BUT they still won't commit to a design or acknowledge the (emailed) quote.
** They haven't signed the contract yet, because they hadn't given me enough info to quote accurately until this week. I spoke to the bride today, so I know they got it, but she said her fiance's handling the cake details.

What is the most professional way to handle this? Nice couple, I just don't want to be caught with my pants down (so to speak) re-designing a cake at the last minute...

Thanks~

5 replies
BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 11:28pm
post #2 of 6

Sorry you are having issues. I don't do cake quotes over email. When they sit down with me we complete everything while we are all together. That is what I base my quote on so I need decisions made at that time. If I take a deposit it is becasue all decisions have been made and are all on paper. I guess since you have allready started talking with them via email you really cannot go back so I would call and leave a message with urgency in my tone and give the bride a deadline to have all documents returned with approval and all decisions finalized or her date will not be saved and you will not be able to make her cake.

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 11:37pm
post #3 of 6

...the hard part is that you took a deposit without a contract. I wouldn't take a deposit if there was no contract, while making clear that no contract means no cake. You could still call the bride up, though, and tell her that if you don't get a signed contract by the end of the week, you will not be available to make the cake for them. Or call the groom, since it's supposedly his province.

kellertur Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 11:37pm
post #4 of 6

I never intended to send them a quote through email, except my first few tastings took unexpected turns. The first 2 couples (2nd one actually booked) didn't want to be "pressured" by being "put on the spot" with a verbal quote, and asked that I email the quote. (I guess I gave away control, there...)

Now, I absolutely give quotes in person, atleast rough quotes based on info gathered. It seems no one wants to deal with anyone in person anymore... which drives me insane! icon_mad.gif "email it to me"..." leave it on my voicemail"... that's why I keep ALL emails.
I'd much rather see someone face to face than talk on the phone if it can be helped.

So, at this point, do I "hunt them down" since they gave a deposit, or do I put it out of my mind in a "you snooze, you lose" mentality... and not make a cake if they don't contact me??? This is where I'm stuck.

Edited to add~ Deposits: I've had 2 people mail me checks BEFORE even meeting with me to hold the dates. Brides want to make the deposit (to hold the date) but say: "oh, I just don't know... I can't decide yet on a design", etc...
I guess I'm still finding my way on running a business.

Thanks so much, and sorry if I'm rambling... repeating myself. icon_redface.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 12:04am
post #5 of 6

Dear Bride:

Your wedding date is quickly approaching and I'm sure you're having a great time with final details.

However, one of the details we need to take care of is your wedding cake. I need to finalize details on what the cake will look like.
However, before we even get to details, there is a more pressing issue. At this point, we have no contract, and with no contract there will be no cake.

I have Thursday afternoon at 4:00 or Monday morning at 10:00 available for you to come over so we can take care of this. Please let me know which works best for you.

kellertur Posted 10 Jul 2009 , 12:29am
post #6 of 6

Thank you Debi~ you always sound SO professional. icon_smile.gif

Weren't you an english teacher? My husband has an MA in Lit & creative writing, but he won't help me with wording because he's twice as introverted as I am. icon_rolleyes.gif

I appreciate this. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%