Indiana Is Now A Home-Based Baking State

Business By homebasedbaking Updated 9 Jul 2009 , 4:55pm by KimmyO

homebasedbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
homebasedbaking Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 4:48pm
post #1 of 2

In the last legislative session (State of Indiana), an exemption was added for home-based processing of products that are not potentially hazardous food products and are sold at a farmers market or roadside stands (see statute below). The link below is guidance from the Indiana State Department of Health regarding this exemption:

http://www.in.gov/isdh/files/HEA_1309_guidance_final_6_11_09.pdf

If you have further questions, I would recommend contacting the Indiana State Department of Health, Division of Food Protection. Their main phone number is 317/233-7360 and email is [email protected].

How is this important to bakers? A number of bakeries have closed in recent months and a number of pastry chefs/bakers are losing their jobs. If you are interested in starting a home-based bakery there are 13 states that have "cottage laws" which allow state citizens to bake from home and sell to the public for profit.

The state of Alabama passed a "cottage law" on April 21, 2009 so bakers can now start a home-based bakery in AL.

Hoping bakers who need to...will take advantage of this...I am available to answer questions about home food processing, I teach (How to Operate a Home-Based Bakery face-to-face/nationwide) for Wake County Public School System Lifelong Learning in Raleigh NC...North Carolina is also a home-based baking state.

If you would like to learn more please email me at [email protected]

1 reply
KimmyO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimmyO Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 4:55pm
post #2 of 2

The problem is that in Indiana we can not under this new law deliver our cakes. We can only sell at roadside stands and farmers markets. Any way to get around this legally? I'm open to advice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%