Filling That Tastes Like Reeses Peanut Butter Cup, Anyone?

Baking By nefgaby Updated 12 Jul 2009 , 10:13pm by nefgaby

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 7:45pm
post #1 of 13

I really need help, I've been looking for a good peanut butter filling that tastes like the Reeses Peanut Butter Cups but have not been lucky. I tried some based on cream cheese, although they are good, they don't taste like the candy bar. Any thoughts or ideas?

Many thanks!

12 replies
Eme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eme Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 8:28pm
post #2 of 13

You could try a no-bake recipe for Reese's knock offs. I've used a couple of recipes for summer school enrichment before and they're actually pretty good. Most call for peanut butter (duh icon_lol.gif ), pwdr sugar, melted butter and graham crackers. If you found one you like, you could probably mix it with a little frosting to thin it just a bit and make it creamier.

Just a thought.

nefgaby Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 11:14pm
post #3 of 13

Thanks Eme, could you direct me to where to find them?

karensue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensue Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 11:24pm
post #4 of 13

Gaby, let me know what when you find the PERFECT recipe. It sounds delish!! When are you moving to Kansas?

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 11:28pm
post #5 of 13

A good start would actually be to use Reese's Peanut Butter. I've seen it on the shelves in my supermarket. http://www.hersheys.com/products/details/reesespeanutbutter.asp <---Here is a link to some info on it, anyway.

nefgaby Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 5:18am
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by karensue

Gaby, let me know what when you find the PERFECT recipe. It sounds delish!! When are you moving to Kansas?

Hey Karen, I will!! icon_smile.gif

If you only knew ... DH is due for orders and looks like we are relocating ... no word on where, though. I'll keep you posted!

nefgaby Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 5:23am
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by varika

A good start would actually be to use Reese's Peanut Butter. I've seen it on the shelves in my supermarket. http://www.hersheys.com/products/details/reesespeanutbutter.asp <---Here is a link to some info on it, anyway.

Sounds interesting, I'll look into it. Thanks for the link!

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 5:35am
post #8 of 13

Check the recipe section here, there is a peanut butter cup filling by ShirleyW and is very good! HTH

karensue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensue Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 1:48pm
post #9 of 13

Ft. Riley, Kansas ... Ft. Riley, Kansas ... Ft. Riley, Kansas ... I'm sending out those vibes right now, Gaby, to those who have your future in their hands. Ft. Riley, Kansas ... Ft. Riley, Kansas ... Ft. Riley, Kansas. (We have three homes for sale in our neighborhood -- one across from me, one two houses down, and one on the next cul-de-sac. I'm sure one has your name on it.) Ft. Riley, Kansas ... Ft. Riley, Kansas ... Ft. Riley, Kansas

Eme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eme Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 6:26pm
post #10 of 13

nefgaby, I found them on recipezaar, here is the link to one I used:

http://www.recipezaar.com/Reeses-Peanut-Butter-Bars-111215

If you look up no bake recipes and search for Reese's you will find a version on most recipe sites (allrecipes, cooksrecipes, etc.)

The hint about using Reese's brand is good, but I found that any creamy style works - I used house brand (read 'cheap' icon_lol.gif ) and it worked fine. I really think it is the added ingredients that do the trick.

Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 6:40pm
post #11 of 13

Here is the recipe I use. I have done a groom's cake using brownie layers and this peanut butter filling in the middle, then dark chocolate ganache for icing. It is amazingly good!!

* 1 cup butter or margarine, melted
* 2 cups graham cracker crumbs
* 2 cups confectioners' sugar
* 1 cup peanut butter

In a medium bowl, mix together the butter or margarine, graham cracker crumbs, confectioners' sugar, and 1 cup peanut butter until well blended. Press evenly into the bottom of an ungreased 9x13 inch pan.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Peanut-Butter-Bars-I/Detail.aspx

Tracy79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tracy79 Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 6:53pm
post #12 of 13

I am no pro, but what about buying peanut butter cups, crushing them and mixing them in with buttercream? Or were you looking for something smooth? I don't know...it's just a thought. That's how I make a lot of my fillings. They are mostly all buttercream based.

nefgaby Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 10:13pm
post #13 of 13

Thank you all for the links and recipes! I really appreciate it!!! (and sorry for the late reply, CC is not sending notices of replies ... don't know why). I will check them all up! Thanks again!

Tracy79, my plan was to make a chocolate cake and a PB filling and then crush some cups into the PB. icon_smile.gif

Karen ... oh Karen ... I'll say a prayer and I have faith, and hopefully my dream will come true! icon_smile.gif Wouldn't that be awesome?!? I would love it! Hugs!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%