Set The Oven On Fire - Not Good For The Cake

Decorating By gatorcakes Updated 14 Jul 2009 , 2:13am by jensenscakes

gatorcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gatorcakes Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 4:26pm
post #1 of 11

I was trying to make the soda pop cake for my son's birthday. He's got an egg allergy. Anyhoo, I overfilled the football pan (apparently, the cake DOES rise quite a bit) and it got all over the oven and caught fire. Turned off the oven, got the cake out and I have opened all the windows in the house. I am running the oven cleaner. I, and the house, smell like burnt chocolate cake. Well, lesson learned there! icon_smile.gif

10 replies
SJ169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJ169 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 4:36pm
post #2 of 11

OMG i am so sorry that happened to you!! icon_sad.gif at least you were able to get the fire out! lol one time when i had my oven on self clean in caught fire and the door of the oven was locked to i could get it open and the firemen had to come lol it was a little embarassing!

SJ169 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 4:36pm
post #3 of 11

OMG i am so sorry that happened to you!! icon_sad.gif at least you were able to get the fire out! lol one time when i had my oven on self clean in caught fire and the door of the oven was locked to i could get it open and the firemen had to come lol it was a little embarassing!

SJ169 Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 4:37pm
post #4 of 11

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 8 Jul 2009 , 4:38pm
post #5 of 11

mmm... smoked chocolate cake icon_wink.gif

in the future, if you see a fire in your oven, gently pull your cake out, toss some baking soda on the fire, it will put it right out. Then use some grill tongs and pull out the embers and put them into the sink and put water on them. It reduces the smoke and saves on cleaning time later. Not that I've ever had to do it...

gatorcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gatorcakes Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 2:25am
post #6 of 11

Quick update: I now have a very clean, ash free oven. New chocolate cake and I still smell like burnt cake. Too bad I can't bottle it and sell "burnt cake" perfume. I'm sure I'd make a fortune icon_smile.gif

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 6:19am
post #7 of 11

You should get a prize for funniest subject line on a post EVER!

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 6:35am
post #8 of 11

I had a stove that occasionally locked itself and went into "clean" mode when I was baking something. I ended up with a cinderized pizza the first time because I couldn't figure out how to get the door open. My DH and I finally figured out that one of us would have to go to the garage and turn off the breaker to the stove, then yell that we were turning the power back on, and the other one of us would be at the stove to quickly turn off the oven as soon as the power was back on. It was nuts. After about four incidents of this routine, we hauled it to the curb and bought a new stove.

The other thing that is so stupid is that it was cheaper to toss it than to repair it. I hate that.

mustang1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mustang1964 Posted 12 Jul 2009 , 6:36am
post #9 of 11

At least you didn't have to call the fire department.
Did you see on the news where the elderly lady in Germany. called the fire department cause her T.V. was on fire? When they got there they found she was watching a show that had a fire on it so they just turned off the set. icon_rolleyes.gif Guess it's true since it was on the national news. icon_eek.gif

TJCanadian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJCanadian Posted 13 Jul 2009 , 4:42pm
post #10 of 11

I've gotten good at handling the fires in the oven, every Christmas when I make carmel rolls. I just keep thinking I can fit 2 or 3 more rolls in the pan, then the carmel cooks up and over the sides and starts sugar fires in the bottom of the oven...I've gotten down pat at opening the door, throw baking soda in the bottom and close it back up. ...what?..I wouldn't actually interrupt the cooking of those sinful maply carmely nutty rolls of goodness would I? I might not get to eat them then....

jensenscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jensenscakes Posted 14 Jul 2009 , 2:13am
post #11 of 11

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who starts the oven on fire. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%