Gumpaste And Fondant - When To Use Gumpaste

Decorating By mistymamas Updated 6 Jul 2009 , 8:17pm by mistymamas

mistymamas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistymamas Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 7:51pm
post #1 of 4

What should a person use gumpaste for? I hear about cake decorations being fondant AND gumpaste, but do not know what is used for what. They both look the same to me.

I want to do a buttercream cake with a person's name on the side of one of the tiers, cut out with cookie cutter letters. Would I use fondant for that or gumpaste?

3 replies
anricat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anricat Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 8:10pm
post #2 of 4

Generally if you see figures, bows, and things that need to dry hard, it's gumpaste or 50/50 gumpaste/fondant.

For what you want to do, personally, I would use fondant.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 8:11pm
post #3 of 4

fondant takes ages to dry and is fragile, gumpaste dries very quickly, and very strong, and although is technically edible, a lot of people dont enjoy it - too hard.

so use gumpaste for decorations you want sturdy, like tiaras or figures, or to get realistic flowers. fondant is really for attatching to cakes, you can model with it as well.

i would say do your letters in fondant. as you get used to working with both of them, you will learn which to use for what purpose. a lot of people use a 50/50 mx for some things, but i cant get to grips with that, and would use one or the other.
xx

mistymamas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistymamas Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 8:17pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks girls. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%