Need Help-New Magic Line Square Pan

Decorating By SecretAgentCakeBaker Updated 6 Jul 2009 , 10:44pm by __Jamie__

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 12:03pm
post #1 of 18

Hi! I just received my new Magic Line square pans. I've never owned anything other than Wilton before. I think mine might be damaged, but before sending them back, I thought I would find out if this is standard or a defect. If you have these square pans, would you mind checking yours please? Specifically, please look on the inside bottom, near each side. Is there a tiny hole/cut/indentation? I was wondering if this had something to do with the manufacturing process. I am concerned that it may make the cakes stick in that spot.

Thanks so much for your help!!

17 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 12:48pm
post #2 of 18

looked at mine -- saw lots of little nicks and scratches -- NOT a perfect mirror finish on any of them, even the two I have yet to use.

----

properly greased -- should be no problem at all.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 2:18pm
post #3 of 18

Mine also came with lots of imperfections. And you do really have to grease those babies up. And washing those corners is a huge pain too! But worth it once you have a perfect square cake!

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 2:24pm
post #4 of 18

Yikes! I just ordered Magic Line square pans because everyone seems to rave about them. I am disappointed to hear that they are not what I am expecting them to be - these pans are not cheap. Perhaps I should have gone with Wilton - their pans are perfect inside.
So grease and wash are the biggies! I will remeber that.

Peridot Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 2:29pm
post #5 of 18

Yikes! I just ordered Magic Line square pans because everyone seems to rave about them. I am disappointed to hear that they are not what I am expecting them to be - these pans are not cheap. Perhaps I should have gone with Wilton - their pans are perfect inside.

Doug Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 2:33pm
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peridot

having use both ---

Magic Line wins hands down.

Corners are a pain because they are REAL 90degree sharp angles -- no sloping sides and rounded joints. - so yep, a bit of a pain but with an old toothbrush not so bad to clean and SOOOOO worth it!

You'll be surprised who good they are.

Consider -- do you have any stainless steel pans, pots? if so, are they still "perfect" inside and out. Doubtful.

Magic Line are not polished to a mirror finish but that has NO effect on their quality.

Don't be fooled -- just because we say nicks and scratches, it's like those in lovingly used stainless steel pots and pans.

ZERO effect on quality of product they turn out.

as for grease -- well don't you have to grease any cake pan you use? YEP. again non-issue.

you'll love the pans. I do mine.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 2:51pm
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbaranne

tiny hole/cut/indentation

?

It sounds to me like the OP is talking about a little more than nicks and scratches in her new pans. Barbaranne, could you post a picture showing it?

I have had Magic Line square pans on my wish list for awhile, but it is hard to justify the expense when all of my cakes are gifts. I hate doing square cakes baked in my Wilton pans and square seems to be what people want these days, so I am going to have to break down and get them before long. icon_smile.gif

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 2:55pm
post #8 of 18

I too have both types of pans and will always use Magic Line before Wilton.

1. Heavier weight so no warping.
2. Square edges, sharp edges
3. Even Baking especially with Magic Strips
4. Spray with Bakers Joy so no sticking issues
5. Clean up easy, Brush out corners and then dishwasher safe

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:00pm
post #9 of 18

I have read that some people don't use the baking strips with their Magic Line pans - that they don't need to. Thoughts from those of you who know????

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:07pm
post #10 of 18
Quote:

How can you be disappointed if you've not even used them yet?

ML are far superior to crappy Wilton pans any day.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:09pm
post #11 of 18

Nope, no bake even stips here - with rounds or squares. I LOVE them.

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:21pm
post #12 of 18

I have always used baking strips with any pan to prevent buldge in middle of cake. The strips keep the sides of cake slow down baking until middle is baked. I do not level my cakes after, ever and do not use a heating core or nail, just strips.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:23pm
post #13 of 18

I do use bake even strips but I LOVE my Magic Line square pans. I had to bake a 12x18 sheet cake last week and I still have my Wilton pan and I realized just how wimpy they are compared to my Magic Line. I plan on replacing all of my Wilton with Magic Line when I can. I just use a little brush or even a toothpick in the corners and they clean right up.

Peridot Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 9:31pm
post #14 of 18

I said I was "disappointed to hear" about the imperfections with Magic Line.

Doug,

Thanks for your positive comments and hints on how to clean them. I can't wait to get the pans as I waited a long time to purchase them and it seems like everyone commenting that use the pans loves them. Doug, do you use shortening and flour in your pans - how do you prepare yours if you would be so kind as to share that bit of info. And no bake strips - wow that will be nice!!!

Thanks

Doug Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 9:52pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:

... Doug, do you use shortening and flour in your pans - how do you prepare yours if you would be so kind as to share that bit of info. ...
Thanks

I use the Wilton premade Cake Release (bought with 40% off coupon of course) works great and very easy to spread around the pan with a pastry brush.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 10:23pm
post #16 of 18

Yeah, sorry, this is one of those products that can't really be compared to anything else. They are superior to everything out there. And nicks and scratches? Who cares?

sugarMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarMomma Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 10:38pm
post #17 of 18

Ditto, ditto, ditto! Love Magic Line, squares or rounds.

I was making a 2 layer, 10" cake but only had one 10" ML round, so I used it and a Wilton 10" performance pan I inherited. The Wilton cake crust was over-baked comparatively, and was not as even as the ML cake.

And that was just a round.

I have both ML and Wilton squares, and I will never use the Wilton again. Anyone want to buy them?

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 10:44pm
post #18 of 18

Lol....I wouldn't even pay the shipping if you were offering them for free! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%