Help What Happened?

Decorating By splash2splat Updated 7 Jul 2009 , 1:43pm by CookieD-oh

splash2splat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
splash2splat Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 2:13am
post #1 of 17

I tried satin ice for the first time along with a single topsy turvy cake (for practice) as the day progress my fondant slide down my cake and folded at the bottom on top of itself. What happened? I am doing a wedding cake in a month for my brother and I can't have this happen to the real thing.

PLEASE help

Thanks

16 replies
Molly2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Molly2 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 2:24am
post #2 of 17

Did you frost your cake with butter cream before you coverd it with the fondat?

Molly2 icon_confused.gif

splash2splat Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 2:29am
post #3 of 17

Yes I frosted with buttercream - is that the problem? It also had no air bubbles and they seemed to also develop as time passed.

DreamCakesOnline Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DreamCakesOnline Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 2:34am
post #4 of 17

Is it hot where you are? Buttercream turns into lubricant when it heats up. Might want to use a marmalade or something more sticky than oily next time (i.e., jelly, etc.) and see if it does better. There are a number of other options listed in recent forum discussions. Think I saw one in the past few days entitled "never using BC under fondant again" or something like that... Good luck!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 2:36am
post #5 of 17

too many people ice their cakes with buttercream(american) if it was thin. that might be the problem.. anytime i have covered a cake with fondant. i cover it with buttercream.. i have sharon zambito doing the same. she has just started using ganache.. on the topsy turvy cake.. i am sure she would use buttercream if the customer didn ,t want the chocolate. a nice consistency of buttercream under fondant is great. but not a thin consistency.. i know people also use the imbc and smbc. so why is the question asked... did you use buttercream. i am confused..so please help me understand..

Molly2 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 2:47am
post #6 of 17

I use butter cream all the time and never had a problem I just asked because I was wondering what she used under the fondant I live in Texas and it gets very hot here and never had a problem I have even taken cakes with butter cream covered in fondant and in a car traveled 130 miles with no incidents.

Molly

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:04am
post #7 of 17

Several things can contribute to this:

if the cake warmed to over 80 degrees, yes, the buttercream underneath could have begun to melt, causing the fondant to slip.

SI fondant can be soft to start with, so once it warms to over 80 degrees, it can begin to sag. I find that mixing 1/3 Wilton with 2/3 SI makes a very tasty, but sturdier product.

If the cake was soft and/or the fondant was too thick, then gravity can be a big enemy, too.

HTH
Rae

2508s42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2508s42 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:19am
post #8 of 17

I agree with blakescakes. It sounds like a soft cake/too thick fondant problem. I only have this problem with SI when I am feeling lazy and don't roll it thin enough.

Also, make sure that the cake is chilled first and that the bc is wet. mist it with a spray of water to help it stick to the bc sometimes helps.

michellesArt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellesArt Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:30am
post #9 of 17

also what type of BC are you using? i understand that indydeb's icing holds up very well in the heat and humidity and i agree to make sure the fondant isn't too heavy for the cake-roll it thinner. hope that helps icon_smile.gif

Molly2 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:30am
post #10 of 17

Sometime I add a little piping gel on top of my butter cream before I cover with the fondant it makes it extra sticky

Molly

splash2splat Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 1:12pm
post #11 of 17

Thanks for all your help - I used buttercream half butter half shortening, I then covered it with Satin Ice and it was 1/4" or thinner - how thin should it be. My icing was also a 1/4 of an inch think and I don't believe the cake got too hot, I kept the a/c going the whole time we were in the car (68 degrees). Well I will keep working at it.

Thank you all again.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 8:42pm
post #12 of 17

You would probably be better off using an all shortening BC instead of 1/2 butter as it would be firmer. Was the BC crusted and did you let the cake settle for several hours before applying the fondant? These could all be contributing factors to the problem.

splash2splat Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 10:09pm
post #13 of 17

This is why I posted I used a firm cake (the pudding mix 3-d cake). The 1/2 butter I could see being a problem when the fondant folded on it self the buttercream actually stuck to the fondant and pulled away from the cake. I also let my cake sit over night at room temp. wrapped in saran wrap.

Anyways - thank you all for your help I will try again but with ganache me thinks

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:00am
post #14 of 17

Did you let it settle after you filled and iced with BC before applying the fondant?

princesscris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesscris Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 2:30am
post #15 of 17

Hi

Satin Ice is a very soft fondant and it will stretch under it's own weight if it's applied too thickly. It's happened to me once before - not quite a fold at the bottom of the cake, but a wobble - the fondant was just a little too long where it had stretched down. When I cut the cake I saw that I'd applied the fondant a little thicker than I usually do.

I think 1/4 inch is too thick - aim for half that and you shouldn't have a problem. Or, you could firm up the Satin Ice a little by kneading in a little gum powder - not too much though.

I also use ganache under the fondant which is easy to get nice and smooth and remains firm - important when you're using a thinner layer of fondant.

Hope that helps.
Cris.

Molly2 Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 4:11am
post #16 of 17

princesscris

Thank you for the tips do you happen to have a good ganache recipe

Molly thumbs_up.gif

CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 1:43pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by splash2splat

I also let my cake sit over night at room temp. wrapped in saran wrap.

This could be your problem. Fondant needs to be able to breathe or it gets all soft and squishy. I would have left it out uncovered, or in a box that was not tightly sealed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%