Made My First Figurine! Now What About The Hair??

Decorating By ybeal Updated 5 Jul 2009 , 1:40am by ybeal

ybeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ybeal Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 11:59am
post #1 of 5

How do you do the hair? Mind looks a little strange, guess I don't have the knack yet, any suggestions? I just rolled the pieces by hand individually and placed them on the head. Is there an easier way??

TIA!

4 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 12:20pm
post #2 of 5

A clay gun or garlic press are good for making hair. Knead a little extra shortening in so that it will move through the clay gun or garlic press.

I have the Makins clay gun...the green one. It's pretty easy to use. I got it at Hobby Lobby when they had a coupon.

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 7:51pm
post #3 of 5

I was going to recommend the clay gun too - you can't go wrong with it.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 9:30pm
post #4 of 5

I love a garlic press for hair. You knead in some shortening and get out tons of it in one press. If you need longer strands, just add some moret to the press before the first load is completely pressed out. You can get some nice long pieces that way.

Just use a knife to cut the strands off of the press, set them aside, paint some edible gum glue on the head, and then begin to style. Trim any stray bits with a small cuticle scissors.

HTH
Rae

ybeal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ybeal Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 1:40am
post #5 of 5

great, thanks for the tips! I have a garlic press so I will try that...if I buy one more cake decorating tool I think my dh will have a heart attack!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%