Help!!! My Fondant Cake Has Elephant Skin....

Decorating By Normita Updated 6 Jul 2009 , 3:40am by Kitagrl

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 2:23am
post #1 of 13

What do I do?? Cake is due tomorrow...how can I fix it?? It has elephant skin all around it...it is fondx fondant.

12 replies
PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 4:26am
post #2 of 13

I don't think you can fix that. I would redo it. If I have a little elephant skin I put some Crisco on it but that doesn't completely fix it.

cakegirl09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl09 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 4:40am
post #3 of 13

put a little bit of shorting and massage the area softly.. it has work for me before..

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 11:31am
post #4 of 13

I agree, try covering in crisco, but most likely, it's too late for that batch. To prevent the elephant skin from forming to begin with, I roll out my fondant and smear a thin layer of shortening over the whole thing, and then continue on with my cutting etc. That keeps it from drying out before I get it on the cake.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 1:58am
post #5 of 13

Just my opinion, but I LOVE chocolate fondant. It not only tastes very good, you NEVER and I mean never get elephant skin.

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

JenniferMI Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 2:02am
post #6 of 13

You should try white chocolate fondant. You will NEVER have elephant skin again. It not only tastes wonderful, it performs great. I've heard of some rubbing the area with crisco...hope that will help you.

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 2:15am
post #7 of 13

Jennifer -- I loved your fondant DVD!!!!

JenniferMI Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 2:22am
post #8 of 13

Oops, so sorry for the double post! I'm sitting in the airport and I'm having problems getting my responses to post. I didn't think it did, so I wrote another

PinkLisa - I am THRILLED you liked the DVD! Chocolate fondant has changed my life (with fondant).

Jen icon_smile.gif

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 2:42am
post #9 of 13

I had this happen on my wedding cake for tonight. I rubbed it with crisco, made sue that I rubbed it in really good, then I put saran wrap around it and put it in the fridge. When I got it out the next time, you couldn't even see the elephant skin.

Hope this helps

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 5 Jul 2009 , 7:13am
post #10 of 13

Thanks everyone for their suggestions. I actually ended up removing the fondant and rolling out some more. It looked much better, but still had some minor elephant skin. I did rub some crisco and it helped a little. Jennifer.....what brand of fondant do you buy?? I have used the chocolate satin ice fondant and that works well....the white I have used both satin ice and fondx. I am still experimenting to see what fondant works best for me

JenniferMI Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:26am
post #11 of 13

I use Pettinice with Mercken's super white choc. (candy melts)

Jen icon_smile.gif

JenniferMI Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:28am
post #12 of 13

I use Pettinice with Mercken's super white choc. (candy melts)

Jen icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 6 Jul 2009 , 3:40am
post #13 of 13

Are you maybe kneading too much pwdr sugar into it? Try rolling it out on a silicone mat or something with just a slight dusting and see if that helps maybe?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%