Pouring Chocolate Ganache...help Please!

Decorating By cofeewoman Updated 4 Jul 2009 , 11:18pm by leigh220

cofeewoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cofeewoman Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 1:06pm
post #1 of 13

I am finishing up my neices sweet 16 cake for tonight. She wanted the chocolate ganache around the base cake (12x12x3) where it appears to be running, not completely covered.

I have never done chocolate ganache. I have found the recipe on CC but need to know, what temperature should my ganche be when I begin to pour/drizzle on the sides? It is a buttercream cake.

Any helpful hints with this would be greatly appreciated!! Also tips on how to drizzle it the best? I had planned to use a small spoon and line it up at top of each side and slowly let it run.

Thank you!

12 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 1:23pm
post #2 of 13

Hi there, when I want the ganache to be a pouring consistancy. I use 1:1 ratio of cream and chocolate. It shouldn't be hot as your cake is going to be buttercream iced cake.

Here is a video from Cakes & Cupboards on how to drizzle chocolate ( not ganache) around a cake. So hope you can get lot of tips from that,

http://cakesandcupboards.blogspot.com/2007/12/my-first-how-to-demonstration-drizzles.html

HTH. icon_smile.gif

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 1:27pm
post #3 of 13

I use ganache drizzle quite often on my cakes because I like the way it looks and it is more affordable to just have the drizzle. icon_biggrin.gif I prefer to chill my cake (even stick it in the freezer for about 10 minutes). This will make the ganache harden and stick to the buttercream better. As far as temperature, it kind of depends on how heavy you want the drizzle. I let mine cool down to where it is pretty thick just pouring it out of a spoon back into the ganache pan. If it is too thick, just heat it up a little bit. Ganache is so easy to work with.

My preferred method is to use a small squeeze bottle. It is much easier for me to control that way and I can get a little more decorative with the top of the cake (back and forth, zig-zag, L's, etc). Just go pretty slow so that you can see what it is doing and control how much is going down the sides.

When I first started using this method, I would put my cake on a cooling rack so that the extra ganache would drip off and not puddle at the base of the cake - and I could save it to use again. I've gotten better and go ahead and plate the cake first ... usually don't have too many puddles now. icon_biggrin.gif If I am covering the whole cake, I still use the cooling rack method.

HTH.

mbt4955 Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 1:32pm
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bashini

Here is a video from Cakes & Cupboards on how to drizzle chocolate ( not ganache) around a cake. So hope you can get lot of tips from that,

http://cakesandcupboards.blogspot.com/2007/12/my-first-how-to-demonstration-drizzles.html

HTH. icon_smile.gif

Great video. Thanks, bashini! thumbs_up.gif

SweetRocky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetRocky Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 1:39pm
post #5 of 13

Coffeewoman,

I just posted a brides cake yesterday with the ganache dripping PART way down like you mentioned. I didn't use a temp. so I can't give you that but I will say I let it cool mostly. It was barely warm to the touch, not cold. I poured out of a measuring cup (with a spout) in circles all the way out to the edges and used something to smooth it quickly. after I reached this point I pushed it over the edge in various places, but just small bits at a time so it wouldn't run all the way. You can control in better in small bits. Since the ganache has mostly cooled you must work fast. The biggest round I did it on was 16". It was not as perfectly marred free on top as I hoped but the only way I could get the sides right. It was still pretty good and I'm a perfectionist. The picture I posted shows the quality that I'm pointing out. My bride was very pleased. Good Luck. PM me when you post it!

mbt4955 Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 1:48pm
post #6 of 13

You did a great job on that cake, SweetRocky. It is beautiful!! Did you put anything on top of the ganache before stacking the tiers? I'm just wondering if it pulls up when they are serving ...

Also, can you tell me where you got your glass blocks? I had some pieces of glass cut those sizes I just can't seem to find, but I'm still struggling with "feet" and those blocks would be perfect.

Thanks!

SweetRocky Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 2:11pm
post #7 of 13

mbt4955, the ganache was over the entire tier, yes it stuck, icon_sad.gif I wondered myself before hand. You can't do the powdered sugar trick with ganache I don't think. That's where you sprinkle powdered sugar on the icing where the next tier will touch. If I do it again, I will surely be on CC asking for tips! I got those glass blocks at either Lowes or Home Depot. One carried it, the other did not. I think it was Lowes. I hope there is one in college station.

mbt4955 Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 2:19pm
post #8 of 13

Thanks, SweetRocky. I wonder ... if you could maybe mix cocoa and powdered sugar to use between the tiers? Plain cocoa would be bitter, I think wax paper would stick, this is a good question to ask. Just another reason I decided I like doing JUST the edges. Crusting buttercream on the top of the cake eliminates that problem.

We have Lowe's and Home Depot. icon_smile.gif What department are they in? I think I saw a cake somewhere that used those blocks and they put lights inside. Are they hollow???

Thanks again. icon_smile.gif

SweetRocky Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 2:59pm
post #9 of 13

They are hollow but you have to drill a hole to get to it. You can put lights behind the blocks and still get a nice glow though. The blocks are in the shower department. I will drizzle the edges only with ganache when I can, this particular cake was assembled on site. Maybe your idea between layers would work.... icon_smile.gif

cofeewoman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cofeewoman Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 2:26am
post #10 of 13

Thank you all much!!! I stressed about the ganache for no reason. It cooled pretty quick and I achieved exactly the effect perfect! Thank you all so much.

Oh...had extra ganache and we warmed it for everyone to put on their cake. Big hit!
Thanks again!

leigh220 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leigh220 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 6:35pm
post #11 of 13

SweetRocky, I believe you could use chocolate jimmies between layers to prevent the sticking.

mbt4955 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 9:26pm
post #12 of 13

What a great idea, leigh220. Welcome to CakeCentral - this appear to be your very first post! icon_biggrin.gif

leigh220 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leigh220 Posted 4 Jul 2009 , 11:18pm
post #13 of 13

Yes it is, thanks! I've been addicted for a while now but never posted.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%