Getting Signed Contract For Internet/e-Mail Orders?

Business By KitchenConvert Updated 3 Jul 2009 , 2:33am by FromScratch

KitchenConvert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenConvert Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 10:59pm
post #1 of 5

Although I am currently working out a commercial kitchen space, I do not have a physical "storefront" and rarely do sit-down consultations for cookie orders (particularly since they are typically smaller orders--in the $100-200 range). Customers could come to come to the space and meet with me, but most clients have been pretty flexible about the designs and I don't think most would really want to spend the time to meet me in person anyway. Most correspondence/confirmation occurs over e-mail.

I have been considering using contracts for cookie orders, but can contracts be officially "signed" without meeting the client in person? Would it work to scan/e-mail copies, have the client sign on their end, and e-mail back, or do I need original signatures on everything? Or, should I only do contracts for larger orders--e.g. for a wedding or for something over a certain dollar amount? Or, is it sufficient to e-mail them the contract, and ask for an e-mail confirmation that they've read it and agreed to the terms?

Any advice would be appreciated!

4 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 11:05pm
post #2 of 5

I email contracts for cakes, the client signs it and snail mails it back to me.

CakeForte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeForte Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 1:02am
post #3 of 5

I just e-signed an advertising contract. I have also e-signed my health insurance and car insurance.

The text was worded a certain way, but it still both parties in agreement.

Google for more info.

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 1:07am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I email contracts for cakes, the client signs it and snail mails it back to me.

Yep. Would never do anything without a contract. Period.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 2:33am
post #5 of 5

For non-weddings I send an invoice with a price breakdown (#of servings @ $x.xx/serving etc) and then a run down of the details. I send two copies and a self addressed and stamped envelope. They sign one copy and send it back to me and this serves as the "contract". Weddings have a set contract that gets mailed to the customer and a copy of the signature page gets mailed back to me the same way the invoice does.

Easy-peasy. A contract really is a must. It protects both you and your client. For last minute orders I only accept cash or charge, and I get a signature when they drop off their money or their credit card invoice serves as the contract. I have it worded saying in paying this invoice they have read and accept the terms and details of their order. (I use Google Checkout for credit card processing and send email invoices).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%