Smoothing Ccream Cheese Icing Tricky?

Decorating By SugarBakers05 Updated 2 Jul 2009 , 11:21pm by LindseyLoocy

SugarBakers05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakers05 Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 7:52pm
post #1 of 9

Hey all, Just wondering if it is just me...i find when i try to smooth cream cheese icing i have a very difficult time, unlike regular bc. The icing seems sticky and I can't seem to get it as smooth as i like even after refrigerating it. Anyone else experience the same thing?

8 replies
idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 9

Yes! I just did a retirement cake - carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. it was sticky and hard to spread. I just assumed it was because of the cream cheese and there's no getting around it. I tried running my frosting spreading knife under hot water (then drying it) and that helped a little.

idgalpal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idgalpal Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 8:54pm
post #3 of 9

Yes! I just did a retirement cake - carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. it was sticky and hard to spread. I just assumed it was because of the cream cheese and there's no getting around it. I tried running my frosting spreading knife under hot water (then drying it) and that helped a little.

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 9:04pm
post #4 of 9

You need to find the recipe for Decorator's Cream Cheese Frosting. It crusts just like buttercream! I love it.....I will see if I can find it and post a link....be right back! icon_smile.gif

lardbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lardbutt Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 9:09pm
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessyBaker

You need to find the recipe for Decorator's Cream Cheese Frosting. It crusts just like buttercream! I love it.....I will see if I can find it and post a link....be right back! icon_smile.gif

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-4153-175-Decorators-Cream-Cheese-Frosting.html

SugarBakers05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakers05 Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 9:25pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks ! I'm going to run and try it, and let you all know how it goes.. And all this time I thought I was the only person with this problem - heesh!

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 9:38pm
post #7 of 9

Its not just you...I made a carrot cake with cream cheese frosting for a customer and the icing was soooo hard to smooth. I couldn't get it as smooth as I can buttercream. I was so frustrated icon_cry.gif . I thought it was the heat and humidity but I guess others are having the same problem.

The recipient was satisfied but I didn't like the way the cake came out.

Thanks for the link, MessyBaker...I'll have to try it.

cakelovincrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelovincrazy Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 11:07pm
post #8 of 9

I wish I had that recipe yesterday. I just did a red velvet cake with creamcheese icing that was supposed to be a crusting cream cheese, but it wasn't. I had to put it in the freezer for a few minutes then smooth it out with the viva and after a few min. working with it I had to put it back in the freezer, major pain.

LindseyLoocy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindseyLoocy Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 11:21pm
post #9 of 9

Freezing the cake and icing straight from the freezer helps a bit, but you have to be fast. That, and the hot water/drying method.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%