Hot Weather And Frosting! Help Please!

Decorating By cwhite27 Updated 3 Jul 2009 , 7:48pm by cwhite27

cwhite27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwhite27 Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 5:54pm
post #1 of 10

I have a cake that needs to be frosted in the dead heat of summer. The party will be outside and the average temp will be about 100. Is there a frosting that will stand up to this heat?
Also, I have a problem with keeping my frosting from softening quickly when I'm working with it. I have hot hands, I am lost at how to frost cakes without using 5 bags and rotating them out.

Any suggestions to the above problems would be greatly appreciated.

~Thank you~

9 replies
jodilee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jodilee Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 8:01pm
post #2 of 10

I've heard that Indydebi's Crisco -Based buttercream icing holds up well in the heat and humidity. You can find the recipe on here in the recipe section. I haven't used it outdoors in the heat yet but, I can tell you it tastes wonderful. It also crusts very well. Good Luck

jodilee Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 8:02pm
post #3 of 10

I've heard that Indydebi's Crisco -Based buttercream icing holds up well in the heat and humidity. You can find the recipe on here in the recipe section. I haven't used it outdoors in the heat yet but, I can tell you it tastes wonderful. It also crusts very well. Good Luck

jodilee Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 8:04pm
post #4 of 10

I've heard that Indydebi's Crisco-Based buttercream icing holds up well in the heat and humidity. You can find the recipe on here in the recipe section. I haven't used it outdoors in the heat yet but, I can tell you it tastes wonderful. It also crusts very well. Good Luck

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 8:10pm
post #5 of 10

Indydebi's recipe works great and I would recomend you using it as it will hold up to the heat.

I too have the hot hand syndrome and what I do is keep a bowl with cold ice water near by.

When I find my hands are starting to effect the icing I just take a 2 min break and immerse my hands in the cold ice water bath.

Sounds like a pain in the @ss but it seems to work for me.

Hope this helps you icon_smile.gif

jodilee Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 1:50am
post #6 of 10

ooops, sorry for replying 3 times!! something must have been wrong with this site earlier because I noticed other people had multiple posts too.

cwhite27 Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 3:12pm
post #7 of 10

Thank you for the suggestions! I'm new at cake decorating, so the well seasoned advice is appreciated.

Thanks

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 5:37pm
post #8 of 10

the plastic disposable cake decorating bags also heat up the icing quicker i find. Are you using those? you could try the parchment paper or the featherweight bags.

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 5:38pm
post #9 of 10

the plastic disposable cake decorating bags also heat up the icing quicker i find. Are you using those? you could try the parchment paper or the featherweight bags.

cwhite27 Posted 3 Jul 2009 , 7:48pm
post #10 of 10

I will have to try that. I like using the disposable bags because of the easy clean up, but if it will keep my icing from melting on me a little longer I'll give it a try.
Thank you~

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%