Please Help Me!!!! Im Stuck Between A Rock And Hard Place!!

Decorating By krissycupcakes Updated 2 Jul 2009 , 4:57pm by krissycupcakes

krissycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissycupcakes Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:16pm
post #1 of 29

ok so i posted 2 days ago asking about how to work out working in a bakery possibly 2 afternoons a week and then doing cakes as there ordered. i kinda figured out that ill work hourly and then set a price with her depending on the cake orders. so i go in yestardayto "work" / get to know her and the place a lil better, she was amazed at my cake picture but then....... in the kitchen i see shes useing un doctored mixes and i had told her oh i have a way to make them a lil nicer i made a WASC cake and she was like you put salt in baked good i said yes you need salt to react with some of the other ingredents and she thought i was crazy ??? am I??? im pretty sure thats how it works!! ok so we go on and the cake is "salty" and tooooo sweet!!! to her i think it was fine but ok i could put less sugar if that was it. then i see her making iceing (please also keep in mind this is her first bakery she said she did it out of her home for 5 years but the bakery is 3 weeks old) sooo this iceing its the consistancy of pudding theres no thickness at all!!!! i was ok i watched her try to ice a cake with a mayo spoon you know the ones they sell to get the mayo at the bottom of the jar , lets just say it wasnt pretty!!! so i showed her to use the spatula it goes quicker and looks nicer and she was like oh ok and she kept with the spoon!! then she tried to tell me about indydebis buttercream is toooo sweet i dont know what she thought i could bring to the table if she only wants her crap!!! shes nice and the place is perfect for me as a bakery its funky and fun and i really need a place to do my cakes but im not sure what to do !!!!! help!!!!!!!!! im going in today to show her how i make my rose cake so we will see what happens!!![/b]

28 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:26pm
post #2 of 29

If it were me I'd tell her if she wants cakes that look like your pictures you have to use your methods. If she wants cakes with soupy frosting she needs to continue doing them herself.

Brownie1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brownie1954 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 6:38pm
post #3 of 29

Hello...
Sounds to me like she doesn't know what she's doing....How in the world was she able to go from working at home, to having a bakery, if she can't even make a basic BC right? I have never heard of anyone icing a cake with a spoon.
I would ask her to sit down with you, so you can to over, again, what she is looking for, and what you are looking for. If she is not going to allow you the chance to do your work, the way you do it, then she isn't someone you want to work for.

KSMill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KSMill Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 8:06pm
post #4 of 29

I don't understand how she could get this far without even knowing the basic BC recipe. (I know there are many variations) She could learn a lot from you, but she would have to be willing to let you do things your way. Good luck with this. It may be too many cooks in the kitchen.

KSMill Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 8:07pm
post #5 of 29

I don't understand how she could get this far without even knowing the basic BC recipe. (I know there are many variations) She could learn a lot from you, but she would have to be willing to let you do things your way. Good luck with this. It may be too many cooks in the kitchen.

KSMill Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 8:08pm
post #6 of 29

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 9:01pm
post #7 of 29

Wow, this is a sticky situation for you. By far seems you know more than her and could teach her some things, however, it is her shop. Not sure that I would stay.

I agree if she wants cakes that look like your pictures she needs to let you do what you are most comfortable doing.

txnonnie Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 9:02pm
post #8 of 29

Wow, this is a sticky situation for you. By far seems you know more than her and could teach her some things, however, it is her shop. Not sure that I would stay.

I agree if she wants cakes that look like your pictures she needs to let you do what you are most comfortable doing.

txnonnie Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 9:03pm
post #9 of 29

txnonnie Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 9:04pm
post #10 of 29

txnonnie Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 9:05pm
post #11 of 29

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 9:14pm
post #12 of 29

Run. Fast.

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 10:23pm
post #13 of 29

It's one thing to be helpful...but when you clearly are teaching her a thing or two...I'd say, the bakery doesn't seem like it's going to be successful. I'm not sure how long it would take for you to get a bad feeling with all the help your giving. It may as well be YOUR shop. It's like somebody writing a song they don't get credit for....

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 10:39pm
post #14 of 29

I agree with everyone's comment, I also did not know how she ran a business for so long, out of her home what kind of people was she baking for? LOL maybe she feels ashame that she is the one that owns the bakery, and does not really know how to make cakes, so she does not want you to get all the credit, maybe she contracted someone else to bake her cakes back then and she got a percentage of it, there is a bakery in my town that contracts someone to make their wedding cakes, I would watch the situation and be very careful.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 10:39pm
post #15 of 29

I agree with everyone's comment, I also did not know how she ran a business for so long, out of her home what kind of people was she baking for? LOL maybe she feels ashame that she is the one that owns the bakery, and does not really know how to make cakes, so she does not want you to get all the credit, maybe she contracted someone else to bake her cakes back then and she got a percentage of it, there is a bakery in my town that contracts someone to make their wedding cakes, I would watch the situation and be very careful.

Sox-n-Pats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sox-n-Pats Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 1:10am
post #16 of 29

Say no, save your money, and when she goes out of business buy it from her. icon_smile.gif

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 1:16am
post #17 of 29

Holy cow.... hunny, you need to "GIT!"

in2cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
in2cakes2 Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 1:33am
post #18 of 29

If she has only been open for three weeks and her skills are as you say they are I would back off and wait, she is not going to be open very long. The place may be yours soon w/out the crazy mess.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 1:51am
post #19 of 29

Oh...my...

Run away! Run away fast!

Others have said it too...save your money, you may be able to buy that bakery when she fails!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 2:29am
post #20 of 29

I would NOT want to associate myself with someone like that. It may seem like a great opportunity, but if you're stuck working her way, you'll screw yourself.

I can't believe she doesn't use salt in anything!!! Salt is like the lifeblood of ALL cooking. I don't make ANYTHING without at least a PINCH: I don't care if it's cake, frosting, pudding, cheesecake, fruit compote, pastry cream, whatever. There is always at the very least a PINCH of salt in everything (and I did NOT need to wait until I went to culinary school to figure that out)... it brings out the flavor. She'd probable DIE if she saw me make my steamed strawberry salad (that uses salt and white pepper, among other things) to serve with plated desserts. This woman obviously knows NOTHING about food!

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 3:03am
post #21 of 29

Run Forest Run..... icon_wink.gificon_wink.gif

krissycupcakes Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 3:49am
post #22 of 29

HAHAHAHA you guys really kknow how to put a smile on my face!!!!! i went in today and she said that she wants me to make some dummie cakes to display and then when she gets cake orders in she'll call me. we worked it out she provides the place and supplies and we split it 60 / 40 (i get 60 percent) i feel thats fair for now and this helps me save cause im pretty sure she wont last!!

krissycupcakes Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 3:50am
post #23 of 29

HAHAHAHA you guys really kknow how to put a smile on my face!!!!! i went in today and she said that she wants me to make some dummie cakes to display and then when she gets cake orders in she'll call me. we worked it out she provides the place and supplies and we split it 60 / 40 (i get 60 percent) i feel thats fair for now and this helps me save cause im pretty sure she wont last!!

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 4:10am
post #24 of 29

Market your cakes with "Krissy's Buttercream" in the store so people get to see that it is associated with you. Insist on it. EVERYTHING you do should have a label like that. If you are going to continue there, brand differentiation is critical. You are a brand. Remember, Martha's name is on everything that even walks by her, usually more than once. Otherwise, in six months, she learns all she can and gives you the boot. You open up next door and sell the real Krissys Cupcakes.

krissycupcakes Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 4:18am
post #25 of 29

thanks matthewkyrankelly thats a great idea!!! i make labels up!!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 4:27am
post #26 of 29

She might keep the cake dummies and fire you...get business from people who look at your cakes and think she made them. Especially if all the orders that come in are for your cakes and not hers. You also might get a bad reputation from working there.

This might be one of those cases where the good opportunity isn't really as good as it seems to be.

If you could make a product she wasn't making, maybe decorated sugar cookies, then people would be able to tell which one came from who...but if you're both baking cakes then she'll get the credit for your good cakes.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 4:30am
post #27 of 29

I agree that this doesn't sound like a good deal for you.

But on the salt issue, I stopped adding salt to any dessert recipe YEARS ago. My first husband had a high blood pressure issue, so I was cutting any and all salt wherever I could. Never missed it. So now it's just a habit. Any sweet or dessert recipe that calls for salt, I just skip over that. I figure I don't salt a brownie when I eat .... I'm not going to salt it before I bake it. Been doing that for 30 years.

At least I figured out why bakery chocolate chip cookies always tasted salty to me!

I also just cringe when I watch cooking shows and they put (what looks like to me as ) SO MUCH SALT in any dish (sweet or otherwise). I'm one of those people who is very insulted (oh let's quit being polite about it ... it pi$$es me off! icon_biggrin.gif ) if you automatically salt the food I put in front of you BEFORE you even taste it. Salt should enhance the flavor, and when I cook, I put enough salt in it to enhance the flavor ... any more than that and you're killing my cooking! icon_sad.gif

auntiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiecake Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 4:38am
post #28 of 29

Been there, tried that and don't do it!

krissycupcakes Posted 2 Jul 2009 , 4:57pm
post #29 of 29

hmmmm....... thanks for the great advice!!!! im going to think on this looooong and hard this weekend

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%