Glass Separators & Vases??

Decorating By lkoenig07 Updated 1 Jul 2009 , 10:54pm by txnonnie

lkoenig07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lkoenig07 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 3:49pm
post #1 of 15

I'm working on some practice wedding cakes this month & I really love the look of glass separators & vases. While looking at some pics for inspiration, I noticed that a lot of people just use flower vases. I was wondering how the best way to do this is, because it looks like they just set the vase right on top of the cake, but wouldn't this put too much pressure on it??? I'm confused.

14 replies
lkoenig07 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 12:00pm
post #2 of 15

anyone??

EnjoyTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnjoyTheCake Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 12:16pm
post #3 of 15

My understanding is that a cake board is cut to the same size as the vase and then the cake is doweled just as though you were stacking a cake. so cut the cake board, dowl under the board, set the vase on, secure with buttercream or royal icing if necessary, then balance the next cake on top of the vase.

Best of luck.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 12:20pm
post #4 of 15

Here's a cake I did with a similar set-up: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1386274

I crumb-coated the bottom tier. PUt a thicker layer on top. Laid a cardboard on top of the bottom tier. Iced the whole thing in chocolate icing. The silver stand sat nice and level on the cardboard (which was being supported by dowels.)

indydebi Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 12:21pm
post #5 of 15

Here's a cake I did with a similar set-up: http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1386274

I crumb-coated the bottom tier. PUt a thicker layer on top. Laid a cardboard on top of the bottom tier. Iced the whole thing in chocolate icing. The silver stand sat nice and level on the cardboard (which was being supported by dowels.)

lkoenig07 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 7:46pm
post #6 of 15

Thanks indydebi, that definitely helped! BTW - where did you get that silver thing? It's too cool!!

lkoenig07 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 7:47pm
post #7 of 15

Thanks indydebi, that definitely helped! BTW - where did you get that silver thing? It's too cool!!

lkoenig07 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 7:47pm
post #8 of 15

lkoenig07 Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 7:48pm
post #9 of 15

indydebi Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 10:03pm
post #10 of 15

The silver thing, believe it or not, is a fruit stand that I just turned upside down. Found it at Old Time Pottery, or someplace like that, on a clearance table. It's great for holding a bowl of ranch dip for veggies, too ... in this pic: http://www.flickr.com/photos/55969028@N00/2662812858/

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 10:50pm
post #11 of 15

indydebi -- I love that stand. What a way to be resourceful. I love looking for things out of the oridinary to use.

txnonnie Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 10:51pm
post #12 of 15

indydebi -- I love that stand. What a way to be resourceful. I love looking for things out of the oridinary to use.

txnonnie Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 10:52pm
post #13 of 15

txnonnie Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 10:53pm
post #14 of 15

txnonnie Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 10:54pm
post #15 of 15

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%