Decorations On Smbc

Decorating By fruitsnack Updated 30 Jun 2009 , 7:46pm by drakegore

fruitsnack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fruitsnack Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 11:43am
post #1 of 4

Can you add decorations to an SMBC frosted cake, or is SMBC only to be used under fondant?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm used to a powdered sugar based buttercream that crusts to hold the fondant accents and is thick enough to hold a piped line / scrollwork / etc. I'm picturing SMBC as kind of light and fluffy like whipped cream and can't work my mind around being able to pipe with it or attach fondant accents to it. Any special tricks?

3 replies
drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 4

hi!

smbc is soooooooo easy to attach fondant decorations too.
all you do is put them on, lol; you don't need anything special to help them adhere.

ice your cake and then fridge it for a bit before putting on decorations; it makes it so much easier to apply them and then move them if you need to reposition them.

you may need to pop it back in the fridge every now and then if the icing starts to soften while you're still working on it.

no problem piping with smbc either, though some types of flowers may be more problematic. you will need to make sure your icing does not get too warm while your piping.

diane

drakegore Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 7:45pm
post #3 of 4

hi!

all you do is put them on, lol; you don't need anything special to help them adhere.

ice your cake and then fridge it for a bit before putting on decorations; it makes it so much easier to apply them and then move them if you need to reposition them.

you may need to pop it back in the fridge every now and then if the icing starts to soften while you're still working on it.

no problem piping with smbc either, though some types of flowers may be more problematic. you will need to make sure your icing does not get too warm while your piping.

diane

drakegore Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 7:46pm
post #4 of 4

hi!

diane

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%