Using Fresh Flowers On A Cake.

Decorating By DeeDee1520 Updated 1 Jul 2009 , 4:25pm by Trixyinaz

DeeDee1520 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDee1520 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:23am
post #1 of 5

Hi cake decorators! I am new to this business, and initally started cake decorating as a fun hobby; and I have been asked to make a cake for a couple who are renewing their wedding vows. I am excited to do it, but she wants fresh flowers as her cake topper. Please share all your expert advice on creating a fresh flower cake topper using stargazer lillys! I will appreciate all your responses! Thanks!!!!

4 replies
Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:22pm
post #2 of 5

Hey there!

Well, I am going through this right now. Here was my response to my bride since she didn't want to pay for sugarpaste flowers.... The first paragraph was taken directly from this website (with some additional wording of my own).

As for the flowers on top, first, no fresh flower is safe to use on or near food products unless it has been organically grown and is not classified as a poisionous flower/plant. This is something you will need to check with your florist to ensure. This means no chemical herbicides or pesticides have been used on or around the plant. Rose fertilizers that contain systemic toxins are included in this category, as are any fertilizers of the weed-and-feed variety. Secondly, for some people, eating pollen or being near pollen can trigger allergies or even asthma. These are some things to consider when deciding what to use for your floral cake topper.

My recommendation is to use silk flowers for your arrangement on top of the cake. If you just want the silk flowers laid on top of the cake as in the picture you provided, I can do that. If you want any type of floral arrangment (bouquet, etc), you will need to provide the arrangement to me to put on top of the cake when I arrive at the reception hall. If you choose to go with fresh flowers, your florist will need to make the floral cake top arrangement, and have it at the reception hall for me to place on top of the cake when I arrive. I do not recommend just laying fresh flowers on top of a cake as in the picture you provided or sticking the flower stems directly into the cake. If you do choose fresh flowers, I can work with your florist to ensure her cake topper fits correctly on your top tier.

As IndyDebi wrote in another thread, "I am not a florist. If you want a floral arrangement, you need to have your florist make an arrangement for the top of your cake." or something along those lines. And another person said this is generally the job of the florist, not the cake decorator.

And, stargazer lillies are poisionous to cats...not sure about humans. You may want to ask around.

Trixyinaz Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:23pm
post #3 of 5

Hey there!

Well, I am going through this right now. Here was my response to my bride since she didn't want to pay for sugarpaste flowers.... The first paragraph was taken directly from this website (with some additional wording of my own).

As for the flowers on top, first, no fresh flower is safe to use on or near food products unless it has been organically grown and is not classified as a poisionous flower/plant. This is something you will need to check with your florist to ensure. This means no chemical herbicides or pesticides have been used on or around the plant. Rose fertilizers that contain systemic toxins are included in this category, as are any fertilizers of the weed-and-feed variety. Secondly, for some people, eating pollen or being near pollen can trigger allergies or even asthma. These are some things to consider when deciding what to use for your floral cake topper.

My recommendation is to use silk flowers for your arrangement on top of the cake. If you just want the silk flowers laid on top of the cake as in the picture you provided, I can do that. If you want any type of floral arrangment (bouquet, etc), you will need to provide the arrangement to me to put on top of the cake when I arrive at the reception hall. If you choose to go with fresh flowers, your florist will need to make the floral cake top arrangement, and have it at the reception hall for me to place on top of the cake when I arrive. I do not recommend just laying fresh flowers on top of a cake as in the picture you provided or sticking the flower stems directly into the cake. If you do choose fresh flowers, I can work with your florist to ensure her cake topper fits correctly on your top tier.

As IndyDebi wrote in another thread, "I am not a florist. If you want a floral arrangement, you need to have your florist make an arrangement for the top of your cake." or something along those lines. And another person said this is generally the job of the florist, not the cake decorator.

And, stargazer lillies are poisionous to cats...not sure about humans. You may want to ask around.

Trixyinaz Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:24pm
post #4 of 5

Hey there!

Trixyinaz Posted 1 Jul 2009 , 4:25pm
post #5 of 5

Hey there!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%