Freezing Buttercream

Decorating By Caet Updated 30 Jun 2009 , 12:44am by DsLady614

Caet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caet Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 11:30pm
post #1 of 3

Hi! I've noticed that a lot of you say that you freeze leftover buttercream to use later. So - I had quite a bit left over from my last batch and put it in a ziploc bag, squeezed all the air out and popped it in the freezer.
Now my question is, how do I go about using it? What's the best way to thaw it? I'm assuming I'll need to rewhip, but at what speed and for how long? Will I need to add any liquid?
Thanks! I'm going to be making a hundred cupcakes for a wedding recipetion at the end of July, so if I can make the frosting ahead of time and freeze it it will save quite a bit of my sanity!

Caet

2 replies
DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:43am
post #2 of 3

Actually, I don't rewhip mine at all. I take it out of the freezer, let it sit on the counter for a while, mix by squishing around in the bag and use. I find that it's a little thinner in consistency once its been frozen, but otherwise seems to be fine. I've had it frozen for upwards of two weeks before with no problems.

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:44am
post #3 of 3

Actually, I don't rewhip mine at all. I take it out of the freezer, let it sit on the counter for a while, mix by squishing around in the bag and use. I find that it's a little thinner in consistency once its been frozen, but otherwise seems to be fine. I've had it frozen for upwards of two weeks before with no problems.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%