Wedding Cakes And Cake Plateaus

Decorating By pinkpiggie78 Updated 7 Jul 2009 , 8:59pm by nonnyscakes

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 6:24pm
post #1 of 16

So I have a really dumb question. When you do a cake to be put on a cake plateau, do you still put it on a cake board that is larger than the base cake? If not, what's the process? I am stacking the cake at home, otherwise I would have to decorate the whole thing on site.

15 replies
DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 6:28pm
post #2 of 16

Since doing my last weddding cake, I would suggest putting the larger cake board under the cake. Really it relieves some of the stress of putting the bottom layer on the cake stand and keeping your fingers out of the icing. After that, it really serves no purpose, as far as I can tell.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 7:14pm
post #3 of 16

Of course you put it on a board. You dont' want them cutting the cake directly on your silver plateau and scratching it all up. Plus if there is any of the bottom tier leftover, they can easily pick up the entire cake by the cake board and get your plateau back to you. Otherwise, you'll be hearing the excuse of "I can't get the stnd back to you ... there's still cake on it!"

nonnyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nonnyscakes Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 7:20pm
post #4 of 16

Indydebi - I love to read your responses...... you crack me up!

DeeDelightful Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 7:48pm
post #5 of 16

Are you asking if you put the cake on a board the same size as the bottom tier AND place it on a larger board, also? That's the way I understood it.

pinkpiggie78 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 7:56pm
post #6 of 16

My question is should the bottom board be the same size as the base cake or larger. It's a bc cake that will be displayed on a cake plateau... and I just wasn't sure what it was going to look like with the larger cake board on the silver plateau.

pinkpiggie78 Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 8:01pm
post #7 of 16

I realize it is a dumb question... just didn't think about it until the other day.

DeeDelightful Posted 29 Jun 2009 , 9:26pm
post #8 of 16

I don't think it's dumb, because it will matter the day of the wedding. I agree it should be on a larger board, possibly covered in fanci foil or someting that will coordinate wtih the colors or blend in really well. I suggest looking at the wedding pictures posted on CC and see how people are disguising those larger boards.

nonnyscakes Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 12:46pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkpiggie78

So I have a really dumb question. When you do a cake to be put on a cake plateau, do you still put it on a cake board that is larger than the base cake? If not, what's the process? I am stacking the cake at home, otherwise I would have to decorate the whole thing on site.

Pinkpiggie78 - I have only done 2 cakes using a plateau (both pictures are in my gallery). My base board was indeed larger than my plateau, but only because it was the only plateau that I had to use. I think it would have looked nicer with a larger plateau and a cake board that was only slightly larger. *** I didn't intend to sound like a meanie in my earlier post. I just thought what Indydebi had written was funny. Looking back, it sounded like I was poking fun at you and I didn't mean to do that .... I am very sorry! Best of luck with your cake!

pinkpiggie78 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 5:05pm
post #10 of 16

It didn't upset me... it's my first wedding cake and I just started thinking about transport and moving the cake. So you think the board should be about the same size as the plateau? Again, I didn't even think about that... I was thinking of putting it on the smalles one so you could still see the cake plateau. The bottom cake is 12" and the plateau is 16 inches.

pinkpiggie78 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 5:06pm
post #11 of 16

It didn't upset me... it's my first wedding cake and I just started thinking about transport and moving the cake. So you think the board should be about the same size as the plateau? Again, I didn't even think about that... I was thinking of putting it on the smalles one so you could still see the cake plateau. The bottom cake is 12" and the plateau is 16 inches.

pinkpiggie78 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 5:07pm
post #12 of 16

pinkpiggie78 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 5:08pm
post #13 of 16

pinkpiggie78 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 5:09pm
post #14 of 16

pinkpiggie78 Posted 30 Jun 2009 , 5:10pm
post #15 of 16

nonnyscakes Posted 7 Jul 2009 , 8:59pm
post #16 of 16

I think either the same size or larger is best.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%