Pasta Roller Not Doing What It Should - Help!

Decorating By chanielisalevy Updated 28 Jun 2009 , 8:35pm by Rylan

chanielisalevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chanielisalevy Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 4

I bought a $25 metal pasta roller. Now I added the electric motor. Regardless of which I use, the fondant NEVER comes out smooth, it ruffles down the eges and is lumpy and bumpoy throughout such that I have to use a rolling pin anyway, I tried crisco, powdered sugar, kneading it very well before - it's tons of work, easier to just roll by hand! What can I do to fix it. Is it my machine?

3 replies
Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 4:05pm
post #2 of 4

Hi chanielisalevy,
Are you maybe feeding it through to thick first up?
Because if it is too thick it will bunch at the rollers edge thus causing it to go though with a dragging motion ... and thats when you can get that frilled ruffled edge....(IYKWIM)

Or might you be forcing it through?

When i feed fondant/regilice/other medium through my machine i dust it with plain flour - its the only time i ever use flour with my regailice..but i find it glides through very well.

Bluehue.. icon_smile.gif

Bossy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bossy Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 4:18pm
post #3 of 4

When I first used my pasta roller that connects to the mixer I had the same problem! There were 2 plastic guide strips on the bottom of the rollers that kept catching the fondant on the way out. The plastic had several cracks in it along the length also that would catch. I was able to snap that plastic strip in half legnthwise so that the plastic strip still kept the fondant from wrapping back up the rolloer, but it was more flush so it did not catch the fondant on the way out. The rollers must be very clean and I also use corn starch in a knee high stocking to dust the rollers with after every few rolls. Found it works better at faster speeds too! Hopes this helps.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 8:35pm
post #4 of 4

I usually roll it out flat by hand first and then put it in the pasta machine.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%