Where/how Butterflys?

Decorating By blueydmom2004 Updated 28 Jun 2009 , 9:29pm by blueydmom2004

blueydmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blueydmom2004 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 2:45am
post #1 of 9

I have a bride who wants butterflys on the wedding cake. What would be the best way to do this? I know of two ways...cutting the butterflys from fondant with a cookie cutter and stenciling with melted chocolate. She wants to see both ways to choose what she likes better. Where would I bet a good cutter from? And what would be the best way to do the melted chocolate?
Guess I should mention that I've never done this before! icon_redface.gif lol thanks!

8 replies
cata29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cata29 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 3:17am
post #2 of 9

if you are close to a store that specializes in cake decorating, you can find all kind of cutters and with the stenciles you lay it over the cake or whatever you are using and with a spatula with chocolate go over the stencile then just peel away very slowly hope this helps

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 3:49am
post #3 of 9

You could use patchwork cutters.. Global Sugar Art sells them.

Here's a link to a sample board I did. The butterflies in the upper right hand corner are done with the patchwork cutters. Quick and easy!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/15524/patchwork_sample_board.jpg

gloria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gloria Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 4:51am
post #4 of 9

I also used the patchwork cutters.

I then "painted" them with the edible markers. Check my photos.

Good luck.

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 2:23pm
post #5 of 9

Look at the butterfly cake in my photos. I got them at FancyFlours. They're gorgeous. They even have a photo of them on a wedding cake on their website!

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1352847

Jodie

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 2:30pm
post #6 of 9

And those gelatin butterflies look unbelievable, too...I can't wait to have the time to try my moulds for those!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 3:18pm
post #7 of 9

I agree about the gelatin butterflies, they looks so dainty and real! (You can see through the wings!) check out the posts in the HOW DO I section by justdi - she gives a tutorial on how to do them. I can't wait till I get an order for them!

Here is the link:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=630413&postdays=0&postorder=

It is the same for the butterflies - check out bobwonderbuns - she has a cake with the butterflies on it! You can get the impression mat from cake connection.com

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 12:07am
post #8 of 9

Wafer paper (pre printed) butterflies are SO easy to do and they looks sooo pretty! If you want more info, PM me.

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

blueydmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blueydmom2004 Posted 28 Jun 2009 , 9:29pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you very much for all of the advice! The bride is my cousin so I would like to make as many butterflys as I can for the amount of money I'd have to spend. I do like the idea of using the cutters more then the wafer paper, but that's just because I've never messed with wafer paper before. Anymore more ideas are more than welcome! Thanks! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%