Sugarshack Bc...i Think I Did Something Wrong...

Decorating By Moniquea Updated 26 Jun 2009 , 10:05pm by Moniquea

Moniquea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moniquea Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 4:17pm
post #1 of 6

I weighed out 2lbs shortening and added flavor and hot creamer mix... added just over 2lbs sugar... looks great but all I can feel is the grease on the roof of my mouth...

I can't afford sweetex... is that the problem?

Do I need more flavoring? I've done this before but usually eat it, I haven't noticed it before...

Thanks for any help

5 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 4:27pm
post #2 of 6

You haven't added enough sugar - did you copy the recipe wrong? I use 2 lb. 13 oz. shortning and 6 pounds sugar. (for a 6 qt. KA)

cuteums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuteums Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 4:28pm
post #3 of 6

i can't get any sweetex either, so I use half shortening (make sure it has trans fat in it. the generic brands still have trans fat) and half unsalted margarine and it always comes out great. i also heat up flavored liquid creamer, and just use vanilla as a flavoring. I don't weigh the shortening either. 1 cup of shortening/ butter/margarine per pound of powered sugar. I just assume that the bag really does have 2 lbs of sugar in it, and really it's more about consistency. Maybe that will help. Everyone loves my frosting.

Moniquea Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 5:29pm
post #4 of 6

I added another pound or so of sugar but then it looks sooo grainy i added some heated liquid... only smoothed a little. Its very hot and humid today so it's taking a while to crust...

i also added more flavor... tastes better. I have it in the deep freezer in hopes that it cools down and has more body. its soo smooth it I'm afraid it won't stand up to the fondant I have to put on the cake...

icon_cry.gif

Any more suggestions?

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 6:31pm
post #5 of 6

Your measurements are wrong.

one CUP shortening to one POUND sugar

Moniquea Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 10:05pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you!

Unfortunately... its too late icon_cry.gif My recreation is a super soft mess icon_cry.gif Tastes great but a mess...

I don't know why i always get confused... lb for lb vs cup for cup, then the liquid... 1:1 but it just says to mix it with the shortening in one recipe - and I'm like well, that looks like enough icon_confused.gif or am I supposed to use it all... I have a 5 qt. Ugh! I'm whining... I saw the utube video and on there its 5lbs of shortening or maybe I misunderstood icon_cry.gif

The cake I forgot was supposed to be topsy turvy and cut level is a giant mess and I refuse to bake another one... this is my second topsy and I will not give up... I've been working at it since this a.m (baking, making mmf, frosting, cutting boards) It's hot, I have no AC and am out of ingrediants... icon_cry.gif

Sorry so long... I'll probably bake another cake tonight and try again - due tomorrow and the kitchen is such a mess I can find a single clean surface... I may have to go into work tonight ~3am to do cakes for the bakery.... gonna be an all nighter.... I'll try to keep my upbeat attitude but right now... I want to sleep....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%