aine2 to the rescue again she has a video on you tube tartan fondant

kitty122000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitty122000 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 12:11am
post #3 of 7

not exactly like the picture you are looking for but hopefully this will help:

saffronica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saffronica Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 12:12am
post #4 of 7

The bow looked like it was gingham, which is just stripes of white and color alternated. I'd use gel color thinned with alcohol or extract and paint it on the fondant with a thin brush. Paint it one way, then turn it 90 degrees and carefully paint the stripes the other direction. Good luck! Be sure to post pictures when you're done!

windy1979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
windy1979 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 12:17am
post #5 of 7

I haven't tryed this but from checking google most of the websites said you had to paint the plaid on. This is a really cute cake, good luck!
here is a copy of some instuctions I found I hope they help!

To make plaid ribbon
Roll out remaining fondant to 1/8 inch thickness each, lifting and turning fondant according to package directions to prevent sticking.

Cut fondant into four 9" x 1 1/2" inch strips (make extra strips to practice painting).

Moisten side of cake where you plan to place the ribbon. Place two strips on cake (one on each side). Smooth according to package directions. Let stand until ribbon is dry.

To make bow: Pinch ends of each remaining strip together. Place loops on side and let stand until dry, about 24 hours. If necessary fill loops with cotton balls to hold shape.

Thin paste color with a small amount of clear vanilla or vodka (do not use water). Paint plaid pattern onto ribbon with small paintbrush. Let stand 30 minutes or until "paint" is dry.

To secure bow to package, place one-inch mound of buttercream icing onto center of cake. Arrange loops in icing to form bow, propping loops if necessary until icing dries, about 30 minutes. Place small strip between ribbons to create "knot".

If desired, finish ribbons with "beads" by piping buttercream icing onto edges with number 2 tip.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 12:25am
post #6 of 7

They also make a plaid chocolate transfer sheet which for something like that, would be easy to do.

BakerzJoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerzJoy Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 3:58pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks everyone. I know what I'm gonna do! I would have never known how to do this w/o ya'lls help. Thank you so much!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%