So If I Order Fondant In The Dead Of Summer....

Decorating By Bellatheball Updated 27 Jun 2009 , 5:01pm by CookieO

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 7:50pm
post #1 of 12

is it going to melt on my doorstep? I want to get more Satin Ice from GSA but it'll probably sit out for several hours before I get home. Will it hold up?

11 replies
rvercher23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rvercher23 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 8:00pm
post #2 of 12

I just recieved a large box of several different tubs of Satin Ice and it sat outside on my porch for at least 5 hours until I got home, it was fine!

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 8:05pm
post #3 of 12

Maybe GlobalSugar will hold the order for a few days until the heat breaks. I just ordered a ton of Scharffen Berger chocolate yesterday, and they called and asked if they could wait until Monday to ship it because it's supposed to be cooler then.

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 8:29pm
post #4 of 12

Wow, that's really good. I had no idea they'd do that. Thanks.

mbt4955 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbt4955 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 8:44pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

Maybe GlobalSugar will hold the order for a few days until the heat breaks. I just ordered a ton of Scharffen Berger chocolate yesterday, and they called and asked if they could wait until Monday to ship it because it's supposed to be cooler then.

Did you order the chocolate from GSA? I've been trying to find a source for good chocolate that is close enough to me (Texas) to get here before it all melts on the truck. I can have it delivered to my office, so it wouldn't be sitting outside, but our 10 day forecast has three 99 days coming up ... and those are NOT the hot days - they are the coolest ones. I guess I'm going to have to make a road trip for my chocolate. icon_sad.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 8:53pm
post #6 of 12

That's neat that Global Sugar called and said they want to hold it for you. That is really good customer service! I love Global Sugar!

CookieO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieO Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 12:47am
post #7 of 12

I was thinking the same thing about ordering HR shortening from Global Sugar. Wondering if it would melt. We got up to 103 yesterday.

Does anyone offer to insulate/cold pack items that are heat sensitive like these items...I know I'd probably be willing to pay extra for that service for items I cant get easily locally.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 1:51am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbt4955

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

Did you order the chocolate from ? (

Oh, no, I'm sorry if I misled anyone. I actually ordered the chocolate from chocosphere.

mbt4955 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 2:18pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkayw

I was thinking the same thing about ordering HR shortening from Global Sugar. Wondering if it would melt. We got up to 103 yesterday.

Does anyone offer to insulate/cold pack items that are heat sensitive like these items...I know I'd probably be willing to pay extra for that service for items I cant get easily locally.

rkayw, I don't think GSA will ship shortening after the spring. I have the same problem - Texas ... I know that some sites talk about 'cold packs' that you can purchase to keep your items a little safer, but they still have their heat warnings. I know that Country Kitchen SweetArt has this statement with their chocolates and I've been scared to give it a try. I don't know how much the cold packs cost

... Note: We will ship chocolate year-round, however, chocolate may melt in shipping if ordering during warmer temperatures. If it melts during shipping, it can be remelted. However, the cocoa butter crystals may become unstable and the real chocolate will require re-tempering.

Purchasing cold packs may reduce the chance of the chocolate melting. We recommend 1 cold pack per 20 pounds.

If you find a source that can get shortening or chocolate to Texas safely without paying for overnight delivery, please let me know. You are in Montgomery County, right? There are a couple of BIG baking supply stores in Houston. It would probably be cheaper to drive than to pay for shipping. I'm probably going to do that (2 hrs+ each way) myself rather than take the chance.

CookieO Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 4:25pm
post #10 of 12

Hi Martha! yes, I'm in Montgomery County. I've found only two baking supply shops, one I have visited in person (Make A Cake), the other (Cake Craft Shoppe in Sugarland) has a online store but I have not been to the actual storefront on that one. Not sure if either has HR Shortening but seems like I saw it at Make A Cake. I need to call them and keep forgetting. HTH. I agree, driving to get it in this heat would be the best way. I havent found a good source locally for Chocolate yet either.

edited to add:
Martha, I just remembered that I saw some chocolate at Make A Cake not sure what brands they were etc. It wasn't a huge selection. and frankly looked as if it had melted at some point,. I wasnt impressed with it. lol.

mbt4955 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 4:50pm
post #11 of 12

Kay, if you went to Make-A-Cake, I understand that Amazin' Cake Supplies is right down the street. I haven't been to either one, but I think that they do have different inventory. If they weren't two hours away from me, I would definitely give it a shot.

As far as chocolate goes, someone on here (sorry, I don't remember who it was - I'll look it up and add credit here icon_smile.gif) said that the big HEB in Cypress has chocolate in their bulk food section. I don't know about the quality, but I think that I am going to make that drive and check it out. I'll let you know. thumbs_up.gif

CookieO Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 5:01pm
post #12 of 12

I hadnt heard of that one. thank you! I'll have to check them out on a dedicated Saturday, set an all day baking shop hoppin day soon. icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%