Kitchen Aid Flat Beater - Losing "coating"

Decorating By imartsy Updated 26 Jun 2009 , 4:25am by cheatize

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 11:30pm
post #1 of 16

Has anyone else had problems with the kitchen aid flat beater losing it's white coating? It's starting to flake off. This is the second time it has happened. I can't find those flat beaters anywhere around here..... no one sells those by themselves here.

Am I doing something wrong? Putting it in the dishwasher? Should I have several on hand? I just don't know why this keeps happening. I don't bake cakes THAT often.....

15 replies
letem_eat_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letem_eat_cakes Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 12:00pm
post #2 of 16

i have the same problem. here is a bump

scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 12:12pm
post #3 of 16

It has happened to mine too, and I don't have a dishwasher, so that's not your problem. I actually took mine back to the shop where I purchased it today, to see what they thought, and they said they had only heard of it happening once before, and seemed to think it was from having heavy things drop on it in the dishwater. They rang the supplier, and if I had taken it back about 6 weeks ago, before my warranty ran out, it would have been replaced icon_cry.gif

marcy11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marcy11 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 12:24pm
post #4 of 16

It is also happening to mine...it is driving me crazy!!

Cakenicing4u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakenicing4u Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 12:24pm
post #5 of 16

That happened where I used to work... they scraped all the white coating off and used it bare.... until we got the beater with the silicone scrapers on it anyway... i'd invest in one of those!

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 12:40pm
post #6 of 16

Gogle them on line you can get replacement beaters everywhere at parts suppliers. Just make sure you match up the model. My dough hook has started to go a little, but it is definitely where it fell. Hope this helps.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 4:33pm
post #7 of 16

The beater rubs against the bowl when it goes around, and it will eventually start to flake off. You can order replacement beaters, just make sure you're buying the right one for the size machine that you have.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 4:39pm
post #8 of 16

Mine is losing its white coating too, but I think mine is from rubbing on the bowl because the only place I've noticed it is on the very end.

drakegore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drakegore Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 4:41pm
post #9 of 16

mine is losing it on the neck, just below where it attaches to the body of the mixer...where it rubs on nothing....

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 5:00pm
post #10 of 16

icon_surprised.gif i have never heard of this happening -
Just went and double checked mine - so far so good.
I pop mine in the dishwasher - but on the top rack with the glasses and cups.

Has anyone complained and been reinbursed for this happening - because i would of thought for the price we pay for a KA - the powder coating would last for years.....and many a mixing moment.

Just to add - i bought the flat beater with the rubber around the edge - scraps as it mixes - its brillante - anyone else bought one.

Think i will ulternate between the two for sure now - so as they don't wear out so quick.

Thanks for posting this thread.

Bluehue.

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 5:07pm
post #11 of 16

The beater should not be rubbing the bottom of the bowl unless it is one of the new silicone ones. There is an adjustment on the head to raise the beater up a fraction. On the kitchenaid website it explains how to do this and the dime test to be sure your beater is at the proper height.

After saying this. the coating rubs off due to the beater scraping the bowl and from mixing doughs with nuts. Now I keep the old beater for nut doughs and the new pristine one for meringues and such. You should be able to find a new beater for about $16-$18 including postage.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 5:13pm
post #12 of 16

If it is rubbing off it means you need to adjust your beater. It shouldn't rub against the bowl when it is going around.

You can order a new one from KA's website.

SUELA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SUELA Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 5:15pm
post #13 of 16

Mine is only wearing out at the very tip where it scrapes the bowl...but I also have a back up paddle attachment. But never thought to scrape off the rest of the white.

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 11:39pm
post #14 of 16

See that's so weird b/c it doesn't seem like it's scraping the bottom of the bowl....sometimes I have to continue to mix some of the batter at the bottom of the bowl b/c it doesn't get mixed up completely.....I figured that was b/c the paddle wasn't far enough down.

So weird - I wish they would just make one without the coating or something.....the other one you all are talking about with the scrapers on the edge....does it have the white coating too?

KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 11:54pm
post #15 of 16

I'm on my third one, and it's not just loosing the coating on the bottom especially since I adjusted the height after the first one started to peel...look at the picture - it's actual wearing off in places that it doesn't hit the bowl at all...and I DONT use a dishwasher so that can't be the problem.

I think KA needs to redesign the blades!
LL

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 4:25am
post #16 of 16

FYI: I have read that the one with the silicone wings is not made by KitchenAid and using it voids the warranty.
Mine is silver so no white coating. My instructions booklet says KitchenAid does not recommend putting it in the dishwasher.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%