Help Me Figure This Out..so I Can Make One Of My Own?!

Decorating By cupcakeco Updated 25 Jun 2009 , 2:27pm by CookieMeister

cupcakeco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakeco Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 9:51pm
post #1 of 11

I'm looking to make a cake like this one, at the request of a friend. I have a few questions hopefully others can weigh in:

1) Does it look like the "head" and "body" cake are two different sizes?
2) How could I acheve a really nice flesh tone? The girl who requested the cake requested that the complexion be darker since the baby will be "black/latino mix"...I'm already thinking that I'm going to be stuck on that one.
3) Have any of you ever made this cake?

Thanks for all your help!
LL

10 replies
DancingCakes2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DancingCakes2008 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 9:57pm
post #2 of 11

My daughters boyfriend had me help him make one for his sisters baby shower. We used flesh color with a little brown. It turned out really nice. Yes they are two different cakes.

this cake really is fun to do.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 9:57pm
post #3 of 11

Hi, I haven't done a cake like this, but by the look if it, it seems the head and the body are two different sizes. icon_smile.gif

katielb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katielb Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 9:58pm
post #4 of 11

Looks like the body is slightly larger though its a bit hard to tell.
I use the wilton brown for a nice skin tone although I did use a bit more colour for the monkey figurine i used (in my pics).
Not sure if that is the kind of colour you are going for.

Good luck! icon_smile.gif

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 10:09pm
post #5 of 11

It looks like three cakes. The head, the body and then the arms (carved). Then it looks like fondant (white) diaper, fondant feet with fondant "balls" for the toes. Also, use a round cutter for the ears and then shape them into ears. You can use wilton brown (as much as you need) to get the right color.
HTH

gidgetsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gidgetsmom Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 10:09pm
post #6 of 11

there are detailed instructions for this cake on the wilton site - the cake is called naturally curly -

yes - two different sizes of pans and the coloring they suggest is copper - you could just add a little more color or maybe some brown to get the right skin tone

BillaCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BillaCakes Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 3:18am
post #7 of 11

Having used the copper color before, go easy on it! Seriously, I'm not kidding. Add a little bit of brown to it to help make it less orangey colored. I used way too much thinking it was an ok amount and it came out burnt orange. Great for us Longhorns fans, not so great for the pirate boy I was making, LOL!

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 3:29am
post #8 of 11

Just remember if it is buttercream it will darken with time. I would suggest starting out light and adding only a little at a time and giving the icing some time to see what color it is going to be. Maybe say like 2 or 3 hours. if you don't see any change add just a tiny bit more and wait longer. I hope that you have a little time to play with. If you don't have time on your side then I would add a little more color and mix thoroughly and see if you have a friend that you could ask for instance maybe the person ordering the cake could help with this coloring situation.

If it is fondant it will lighten with time. So you can start out a little darker. YOu don't want to go too dark with either type. They will get the message and will appreciate the effort.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 3:36am
post #9 of 11

The cakes look like they are about an inch different, because it is so hard to tell. I agree, the copper makes a nice darker skin tone. Again go lightly and mix enough so you don't have too make more. That would be tough.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 4:44am
post #10 of 11

To get the color in this retro cake, I put some Nestles Quik in the frosting. It doesn't make a completely smooth color, and gave her a few freckles.

Have mercy please, I made it a long time ago.
LL

CookieMeister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMeister Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 2:27pm
post #11 of 11

That is an adorable baby cake! And looks so easy to do. Might have to try that sometime.

They are two different sizes, but not by a lot - maybe an inch. The body is larger than the head. I wouldn't go any bigger than a 2" difference when making it.

I've never made flesh colored fondant or icing before, but it would seem to me that you just need to play a little bit. For a hispanic/african american mix, I'd start by making it cream colored, and then adding just a little bit of cocoa or brown food coloring at a time until I had the shade I'm looking for. Stay away from the peach like on this baby here, because hispanic/african american coloring has more sallow undertones.

Have fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%