Ribbon Cutter/embosser Set.

Decorating By diamondsmom Updated 25 Jun 2009 , 2:01pm by Becky52

diamondsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsmom Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 12:48pm
post #1 of 10

I need some serious help my CC family. I am doing my first fondant cake on firday for a birthday party on saturday, I am excited but still scared. Anyway I purchased the wilton ribbon cutter and embosser set and for the life of me I have no idea how to put the thing together like mount the cutters on the wheel.

I read the instructions but still can't really get it together. Can you guys help me please and kinda give me step by step instructions please. Like what i do first.

Thankyou so much.

9 replies
jaybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaybug Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 12:59pm
post #2 of 10

Sorry I can't help! I would love to know how to use this darn thing too! icon_confused.gif

cakefairy03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy03 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 1:25pm
post #3 of 10

I'll try to help the best that I can, but it really depends on what you are trying to cut.

To assemble, first add a washer (metal circle), then add the core (the longest white tube) onto the metal arm.
This is where it will always be different, depending on what shape and size you want because you would be adding different wheels and spacers(which are labeled in inches).

I'll give an example if you wanted to make 1/2" wavy strips: Add 1" spacer, wavy wheel, 1/4" spacer, wavy wheel, 1/4" spacer, wavy wheel, 3/4" spacer, 1" spacer.
Then you would add the other washer and screw on with the little metal piece (sorry don't know the name of it). Don't screw it on too tightly though, or it won't roll properly.

Also, if you noticed, that was to make 1/2" strips, but you only added the 1/4" spacers, because the wheels also add more space, so always be wary if you need exact strip sizes (ie. If you need 1" strips, don't add the 1" spacers or you'll end up with something like 1 1/4" strips or something like that).

HTH. Good luck! It really is fun, easy, and very useful once you get the hang of it! thumbs_up.gif

diamondsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsmom Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 2:07pm
post #4 of 10

OMG. This sounds so complicated. I'll go give it a try. thank you so much

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 2:18pm
post #5 of 10

Also remember to lightly grease everything. I didn't do this when I first started to use mine and I couldn't figure out why it kept tearing the fondant instead of cutting it. Then my mother (good ol' mom) read the directions which stated to grease everything. so we did and it has worked perfectly from that point on.

Becky52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Becky52 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 6:00pm
post #6 of 10

I've had trouble with this cutter too. Either I have too much stuff on it and the wingnut thing doesn't fit...or I have too little and they slide back and forth. And it doesn't roll very well. I thought it may just be a cheap gadget, but maybe I can figure it out after reading this discussion. I really need something like this. Does anyone have another brand of cutter like this that they use?

ninatat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ninatat Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 7:27pm
post #7 of 10

ilove mine, you do have to really press when cutting,about the spacers, i just put them as many as will fit and put the one i want on the end, so now i'm confused, are you saying it will measure for you? or if that for more than one pattern oh or is there 2 of each da i never noticed.Thanks

teachergirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teachergirl Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 2:22am
post #8 of 10

I'm a Wilton instructor. That fondant cutter/embosser tool just takes a bit of playing with, and then it becomes easy to use. Basically, it comes with 3 different attachments - smooth spacers (which never touch the fondant), embossers (which make impressions but do not cut through the fondant), and cutters (which cut through the fondant in straight or decorative lines).

Whatever I'm aiming to do with it, be it an embossed look or a cut strip, I position the tools towards the center of the core. What you want to avoid is the metal washer making a mark where you don't want it.

Each of the little cutters have a 1/8" lip on them which must be taken into account. If I want to cut a strip which is 1" wide, then I put a 3/4" smooth spacer between 2 straight cutter wheels, and I end up with a strip which is 1" wide.

When you are putting smooth spacers onto the core, make sure that they come clear to the end of the core or even extend just a little bit beyond. Don't let them come up short.

When you tighten the screw on the end of the core, don't overtighten, as the wheels must roll.

Always push the tool away from you, and position it so that the word "Wilton" is up. Good luck on your project!

andiesweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andiesweet Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 2:29am
post #9 of 10

I use a pasta cutter. the have ones that are adjustable to lots of different sizes. I could never get my Wilton to work right either, but i never tried greasing it. i will give it another shot.

Becky52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Becky52 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 2:01pm
post #10 of 10

May I ask where you got your pasta cutter or the brand? It has different attachments and sizes? Sounds perfect!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%