Help With Carrot Cake!!!

Decorating By krissycupcakes Updated 24 Jun 2009 , 12:32am by Evoir

krissycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissycupcakes Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 11:21pm
post #1 of 7

i need to know about carrot cake recipes that are sturdy enough to stack? does anyone have one? and what about cream cheese butter cream or should i just do cream cheese iceing??

6 replies
Gingoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingoodies Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 12:12am
post #2 of 7

A good scratch carrot cake recipe is pretty heavy and dense. You must remember the support of stacking comes in just that.. the support STRUCTURE..not the cake itself. I did a stacked carrot cake for a wedding and had no problems. If you don't have a good recipe, I will gladly share mine. icon_lol.gif

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 12:18am
post #3 of 7

I would recommend you make the carrot cake recipe without the pineapple in it as it is much more stable. I would also recommend when stacking that you use the crusting cream cheese buttercream. Good luck on your cake.

aliciag829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag829 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 12:19am
post #4 of 7

The crusting cream cheese recipe that is on here in the recipe section is good. Can't recommend any good carrot cake recipes for stacking because I have never gotten an order for a tiered carrot cake. It's not very popular around here.

krissycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissycupcakes Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 12:20am
post #5 of 7

i know i need support for my cake. but im affriad the recipe i have is sooo moist that it willjust kinda crumble or fall apart. i know my recipe is probably not the best so if anyone can suggest a good recipe, i would be forever greatful!!!

Yankie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yankie Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 12:22am
post #6 of 7

Yes I Do...and is delicious...Here is the entire recipe from the King Arthur flour website..Is perfect for stacked cakes.

Cake
1 1/2 cups (10 1/2 ounces) vegetable oil
2 cups (14 ounces) sugar
4 large eggs
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 cups (8 1/2 ounces) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
3 cups (11 1/2 ounces) finely grated carrots
1 1/2 cups (5 3/4 ounces) chopped pecans or walnuts

Cream Cheese Frosting
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
one 8-ounce package cream cheese
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla OR 1/2 teaspoon Fiori di Sicilia
2 1/2 to 3 1/2 cups (10 to 14 ounces) glazing sugar or confectioners' sugar
milk or cream to adjust consistency of frosting, if necessary

Cake: Preheat teh oven to 350°F. Lightly grease two 9-inch round layer pans, or one 9 x 13-ionch pan.

Beat together the oil, sugar, eggs and spices. Mix the flour with the baking soda, and stir in. Add the carrots and nuts, and mix until just blended.

Pour the prepared pan(s). Bake the cake(s) for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the cake tests done. Allow the cake to cool completely before frosting it. (If you're using two 9-inch round pans, remove the cake from the pans after about 15 minutes, and place it in a rack to cool.

Frosting: Beat the butter and cream cheese together until smooth. Add the salt and vanilla. Beat in the sugar. Add a teaspoon of milk or cream if the frosting is too stiff to spread; add additional sugar if it's too thin.

Frost the 9 x 13-inch cake right in the pan. For the layers, from the top of one layer, top with the second layer, and frost the top and sides of the cake. Yield: 1 cake, 16 to 24 servings.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 12:32am
post #7 of 7

The recipe I use is almost identical to Joffy's except I use cinnamon and nutmeg for my spices, 1/4 cup less oil and 5 eggs. and only 1 tsp baking soda.

I used my own variation on a non-crusting cream cheese buttercream last time I made it, and it held up very well icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%