Cake Boss Diamond Pattern

Decorating By cai0311 Updated 5 Jan 2011 , 8:11pm by pmarks0

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 6:09pm
post #1 of 13

Last night my DH and I were watching Cake Boss on TLC. He was putting a quilted diamond pattern on a square cake. He used the quilting tool and a ruler to do it. My question is (and it may be a dumb one) was the ruler angled on the end that was touching the cake board, that way it was always on a flat surface so the angle for the pattern was identical? If so, where would I get one? If not, how did he keep such symmetry? Also, could you do on a round cake too?
I have a diamond impression mat, but I have the hardest time using it on fondant. My cake always wants to slide around when I push on it. Maybe I am doing something wrong.

12 replies
SJ169 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SJ169 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 6:15pm
post #2 of 13

Hey,

I have seen the episode as well. I am pretty sure he is using a quilting ruler (it looks like a triangle) and it is touching the cake. I am pretty sure he does the top first and then the sides so that he can line them up properally. I am not sure if that is right or not! I just ordered an impression mat so we will see if i can do it!
Good luck!

LittleLadyBabyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLadyBabyCakes Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 6:16pm
post #3 of 13
sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 6:16pm
post #4 of 13

You want a right triangle tool and a quilter wheel.

cai0311 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cai0311 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 6:23pm
post #5 of 13

Thank's for the link. I have probably half a dozen triangle rulers at home I could use with all sorts of angles. I never thought of that.
Thanks.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 7:34pm
post #6 of 13

In a pinch, you can even cut a right triangle out of cardstock and use that as a guide.

Perpz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Perpz Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 12:00am
post #7 of 13

Does anyone know where I could find a Diamond Impression Mat here in Canada?? Most of the ones I see online are from the US..

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 12:38am
post #8 of 13

RE:the rulers, I bought a 45/45/90 and a 30/60/90 triangle ruler at my local office supply store very inexpensively. They work great!

lilscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilscakes Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 1:02am
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpz

Does anyone know where I could find a Diamond here in Canada?? Most of the ones I see online are from the US..

have you tried Golda's in Mississauga? They carry everything....just google golda's kitchen and then do a search under fondant tools for impression mats. Maybe Icing Inspirations have it too. another one you can google as they carry lots of supplies. I've never ordered from icing inspirations, but do so regularly from Golda's . I love ordering from there....great service! Good luck with your search

Kibosh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kibosh Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 1:30am
post #10 of 13

Re: Availablility of impression mat in Canada

You could also try creative cutters. I have ordered from there to a few times and their service is awesome.

I haven't seen the mat at Golda's personally, but maybe they only have that on-line only.

Perpz Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 7:44pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilscakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perpz

Does anyone know where I could find a Diamond here in Canada?? Most of the ones I see online are from the US..

have you tried Golda's in Mississauga? They carry everything....just google golda's kitchen and then do a search under fondant tools for . Maybe Icing Inspirations have it too. another one you can google as they carry lots of supplies. I've never ordered from icing inspirations, but do so regularly from Golda's . I love ordering from there....great service! Good luck with your search

Golda's kitchen is where I order almost everything...except for the diamond impression mat.. they don't have it unfortunately.. icon_sad.gif

Perpz Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 7:46pm
post #12 of 13

I'll check our creative cutters..thanks a lot!

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 5 Jan 2011 , 8:11pm
post #13 of 13

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but Flour Confections in Pickering has a set of 4 impression mats, one of which is diamond. http://www.flourconfections.ca/shop/impression-mat-set-curly-beard-sweater-diamond-curly-p-1856.html

Edited to add:

You could also try Cake Mischief...they have a diamond roller that may be useful as well as two quilting tools. http://www.cakemischief.com

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%