What Are Your Fondant Must Haves?

Decorating By cmscakes Updated 23 Jun 2009 , 11:20pm by Texas_Rose

cmscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmscakes Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 5:04pm
post #1 of 9

I am wanting to begin using fondant on my cakes but before I go out and buy every tool they have I was wondering if you would tell me your fondant must have tools. Thank you! icon_smile.gif

8 replies
SharonK1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SharonK1973 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 5:09pm
post #2 of 9

A good rolling pin, a good fondant smoother and a steady and sturdy pizza cutter, as well as cornstarch.

PatricesPieces Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PatricesPieces Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 5:11pm
post #3 of 9

Fondant smoothers...must have. Keeps the fingerprints out of your fondant and will help straighten edges. Next is something to cut the excess fondant. I use a pizza cutter to cut off the excess after it's smoothed over my cake. Some people prefer a knife. I have used both...the pizza wheel is easier for me. Keeps from cutting the cake board too.

Now for decoration...I love my cutters from Jennifer Dontz..they are the scroll cutters and the filagree cutters. So many variations on what you can design on a cake.

There are probably going to be lots of opinions on this one...everyone has different preferences. It's whatever works best for you. Good luck....

Patrice

Cheyanne25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cheyanne25 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 5:15pm
post #4 of 9

I second the smoothers and pizza cutter. The other tool that I use A TON with fondant is a small clay gun/ extruder. It was maybe $20 to buy online, and you can make countless things with it. Also saves the frustration of trying to make even fondant ropes by hand.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 5:16pm
post #5 of 9

A sheet of vinyl to roll the fondant on then transfer it to the cake so you don't have to pick it up and risk tearing it.

wonderchickens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wonderchickens Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 9:52pm
post #6 of 9

I am new to fondant also. Cheyanne25 is right..... I just purchased the clay extruder gun. The green one that turns...so easy to use!

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 10:59pm
post #7 of 9

Non-wood rolling pin, pizza cutter, x-acto knife, luster dust of every shade imaginable, sewing measuring tape

SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 11:00pm
post #8 of 9

Non-wood rolling pin, pizza cutter, x-acto knife, luster dust of every shade imaginable, sewing measuring tape

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 11:20pm
post #9 of 9

A sheet of vinyl, the small white plastic rolling pin from wilton, a pastry wheel (like pizza cutter only smaller), herb mincer which cuts 6 narrow strips at once, ruler that hasn't been usied for anything but cake, and a basting brush...not the silicone kind but the kind with real bristles. Oh, and a tub of cornstarch with a screw-on top which is a lot easier to reach into with the basting brush than the regular boxes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%