D.o.t. Project Killing Our Business

Decorating By Robertbakewell Updated 23 Jun 2009 , 6:36pm by mandysue

Robertbakewell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Robertbakewell Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 4:42pm
post #1 of 6

We are currently not accessible to our customers. I am sitting here typing this looking out the window at a bunch of excavation equipment and men in yellow hats. this is the second year of this and they dont seem in any hurry to finish up and let us get on with running our business. Between this and the economic downturn I feel very discouraged. I am wondering has anyone else had this type of problem in their town? And if so, how the heck did you get thru it? I have a stack of bills I wont even look at right now...we are running at about 25% right now....maybe not even that much...its grim.
icon_cry.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gifthumbsdown.gif
[/i][/u]

5 replies
mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 4:49pm
post #2 of 6

It does seem to be a lot of that happening all over the place. I hope that it ends soon for you. Sorry that it is disrupting your business.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 5:00pm
post #3 of 6

Wow! That sucks. Ideas... make it part of your advertising and offer a coupon or discount. Make a theme cupcake or treat that pokes fun at the situation as a limited edition.. like a traffic cone. Now is a good time to look up every street fair and festival. Get booths there. Hire high school students to man booths everywhere. Sell! Sell! Sell! Just make some lemonade from those lemons. Good luck. Really.

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 5:11pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewkyrankelly

Wow! That sucks. Ideas... make it part of your advertising and offer a coupon or discount. Make a theme cupcake or treat that pokes fun at the situation as a limited edition.. like a traffic cone. Now is a good time to look up every street fair and festival. Get booths there. Hire high school students to man booths everywhere. Sell! Sell! Sell! Just make some lemonade from those lemons. Good luck. Really.

You know, this sounds like a good idea!! I never would have thought about that. i like the traffic cone cupcake idea.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 6:18pm
post #5 of 6

Can you offer delivery during this time? I like the idea of all the markets and fairs.

I can't believe they have you completely blocked off. Are they even allowed to do that?

mandysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandysue Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 6:36pm
post #6 of 6

I agree with the other posters...if they won't come to you, you need to go to them.. If you advertise, address the issue there (i.e. "We might be hard to get to, but we're still baking cakes!" Call us to place your order and we'll deliver for free. Cake doesn't brake for roadwork!" If you can afford it, pass out cards or fliers that offer easy instructions on getting to your shop. Of course, the best advertising is free cakes or samples, but that's not very budget friendly. Good luck! That really sucks, but you must forge ahead!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%