Asking Me For A Wal-Mart Cake!

Business By cakesbyg08 Updated 23 Jun 2009 , 3:36pm by cakesdelight

cakesbyg08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyg08 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 11:13am
post #1 of 11

I am a baker just starting out and pretty much baking for friends and family. I've been charging cost of supplies but since I'm starting to branch out I've upped my charges slightly. (I'm not really trying to undercut any other bakers, if there are in my area, I'm just not confident in my own abilities) Anyway, I recently had a acquaintance give me a $200 budget and creative control. I ended up spending about all of it on supplies (that includes the gum paste tools and new pans.) Now here is the nitty gritty my boss (I'm a restaurant manager) told me that if she paid $200 I should have only spent $25 on the cake to make. However, this weekend I'm making a baby shower cake for one of our co-workers who she is throwing the shower. She is the one that approached me about the cake. I really didn't have any doubt about her paying for at least the cost and maybe a little bit more (which I was willing to do so I could buy a gift since I really don't work with our co-worker that often) However, yesterday she informed me that the budget only allowed for a $30 cake like you would get at Wal-Mart! icon_surprised.gif My problem is that I've already bought the supplies and that has cost me about $50 and some of it will go bad if I don't use it soon and I would really like to have a great tasting cake to get my name out there more and not degrade myself for putting out a box cake but is it really worth loosing money over. I should tell her to go to Wal-Mart!!!!

10 replies
Nchanted1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nchanted1 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 11:23am
post #2 of 11

Here's my suggestion. Go and buy a Walmart cake for the shower. Don't spend more than $30.

Then, take that $50 worth of supplies and bake 6 delicious cakes, decorate them nicely, and drop them off at 6 businesses that have LOTS of women working there. With COUPONS for $5 off first order.

You'll get a lot more orders from doing this than from a shower with a cheap cake.

People are always happy to get free cake. people are never grateful for a cake they have paid even one nickel for.

MLand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MLand Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 11:26am
post #3 of 11

the budget only allowed for a $30 cake like you would get at Wal-Mart!

That is what I would get her. And then I would bake with the other supplies I bought, and give out tastes. You will more than likely have bought the other supples at some point and can use the pans and such on other occasions so all is not lost ( you just bought them earlier is all).

cakesbyg08 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 11:28am
post #4 of 11

I like these ideas now where to plant my tester cakes icon_confused.gif

Mandica12182 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mandica12182 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 11:31am
post #5 of 11

I'd tell her to go to walmart then....make someone who appreciates your work and effort a delicious cake...maybe your church or something of the like.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 11:36am
post #6 of 11

You really should only consider a VERY SMALL % of the tools, and pans towards the cost. They are items you should have anyways. Now that being said, did you say I have to buy pans, and flower cutters? I doubt it. They weren't expecting to pay for your pans.

Mike

cakesbyg08 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 11:42am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

You really should only consider a VERY SMALL % of the tools, and pans towards the cost. They are items you should have anyways. Now that being said, did you say I have to buy pans, and flower cutters? I doubt it. They weren't expecting to pay for your pans.

Mike

I count tools more to profit and reinvestment it was just the way my boss made it sound like I shouldn't have even had to buy the tools in the first place.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 12:36pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Mike

I'm with Mike. Sometimes you have to buy the pans in order to make the cake the customer wants. You just have to think about it as an investment. You will certainly have more people who want that type of pan along the way.

Why did you she give you $200 if she only wanted a $30 cake. Did you all talk about the budget beforehand? Or she just said she would pay for supplies? (And you're up to $200 including the pans you had to buy).

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 2:54pm
post #9 of 11

I think she's talking about two separate people/cakes here.... the $200 budget and the $30 WM budget, unless I just read that wrong.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 3:10pm
post #10 of 11

How did your boss know how much you were paid for a cake you did on your own? I don't think I'd be sharing that information...that's just me. You never know if she (or he) is sharing that information with others and you also never know when someone - like a boss - will take that information and use it against you for whatever reason...especially since your boss is also in the food business.

Just a thought! icon_smile.gif

cakesdelight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdelight Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 3:36pm
post #11 of 11

I had a a similar situation and I told the person, "I can not give you what walmart offers because I spend more then 10 minutes on your customized cake. Have a Great Day." that same evening she called back and decided that she would pay what I charged and I couldn't take her order because I had received an order for the same day.

My point is : Don't let anyone price your work for you. It's your business you go by your business policy (if you don't have one make one, trust me you need it to help run your business better) and stand behind them 100%, for example my policy about customers giving you 50% non-refundable deposit up front and the rest 7 days before event, they sign an agreement contract (if over the phone send them a email invoice that they confirm) and its followed if not I don't make the cake, and thats final. Make a Contract Agreement and incorpurate your business Policy in it and stick to them, that way if you need to buy pans, flour,eggs, cream chz, pastry bags, etc... you have that half of the money to buy the supplies and then your other 50% as a profit, but as your getting established you really don't see a profit. So what your manger is tell you about $25 spent on supplies, thats when you already have everythingyou need and your just replacing what your going to use... Hope this makes sense and helps you or anyone that reads. Take care,

Sandy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%