Designing Cakes

Business By Elaine2581 Updated 25 Jun 2009 , 1:35am by niccicola

Elaine2581 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elaine2581 Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 10:28pm
post #1 of 15

I'm not very artistic when it comes to drawing a cake design. I can see it in my head but can't put it on paper. Does anyone know of a website or any computer software that I could purchase to help me out in this area? Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

14 replies
noyhoward Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noyhoward Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 10:41pm
post #2 of 15

I'm like you & would like to know the answer too.Bump

cdent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdent Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 10:44pm
post #3 of 15

I DO!!! I just bought a fantastic one!!! http://www.weddingcakedesignpro.com/

Check it out, it was worth every penny for me!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 10:45pm
post #4 of 15

I dont draw cakes. Closest thing I do is "stick people" cakes ..... boxes and lines in excel with the description of the decor written out to the side. Been making cakes for 30 years. Never even heard of sketching cakes until I came to CC.

My sister is a canvas artist and she and I were talking on this topic recently. I told her that she make paintings on canvas and I make cakes covered in icing. She draws .... I create. thumbs_up.gif

I'm like you .... I know in my head what it's going to look like and when I'm done, that's what it looks like. My sketch pad is in my head and that works just fine for me. I've never had a bride even ASK for sketch of the proposed cake.

Mabma80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mabma80 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 1:07am
post #5 of 15

I'm a pretty good artist and can totally draw anything I dream up. But that software that would help me think up even better ideas! It's a lot cheaper than I thought it was going to be! THanks for suggesting it cdent!!

lamariposa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lamariposa Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 4:53pm
post #6 of 15

I have really been debatin gon purchasing the program. I currently do sketches but I am definitely drawing-impaired! Maybe I will convince my hubby that it would be beneficial so he can purchase it for me (recent paycut in NC has me skirming for the next month).

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 5:12pm
post #7 of 15

Wow Indy. ALL my brides expect sketches. But I draw stick cakes also. The real cake always looks better than my sad sketches. And I'm married to an artist/art professor.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 5:12pm
post #8 of 15

Yeah, in my target market sketches are not the norm. I pretty much do them more for my benefit. My sloppy sketches help me better visualize the cake.

Caralinc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caralinc Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 5:22pm
post #9 of 15

Thank you cdent!!

I am so happy I saw this posting today. I have been thinking the same thing Elaine2581. I cannot draw for the life of me. I have been trying to train myself to draw my ideas down and then make the cake. I have found this organization very helpful. icon_smile.gif

mommyandmecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyandmecakes Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 5:33pm
post #10 of 15

I asked this question a couple weeks ago too. Cc's told me they used adobe, PowerPoint, etc. They also told me they used some templates from others on this site. I have used several of doug's templates ( I think he is in the spotlight) right now.

J1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
J1977 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 6:02pm
post #11 of 15

I looked at the software in the past and thought it was a good idea until it looked like you had to purchase a lot of additional pieces to design more than one shape of cake?? Anyone familiar with that?

cdent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdent Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 8:17pm
post #12 of 15

That software I use already comes with the basic shapes: 2 types of flowers, circle, square, heart. The only add ons I saw were for oval, square...some of the less used shapes. It has all I need icon_smile.gif

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 8:34pm
post #13 of 15

I draw crazy looking pictures. Little circle swirl is a flower, any kind of flower! Then to the side I'll write out 5" red hibiscus or whatever... I have a small book with some pictures of sketches and the finished product that people can look at at a consultation.

My husband thinks I should use lined or graph paper so my cakes aren't crooked in my drawings... I always have people laughing during the sketching process because of how crazy my sketches look. They work for me though!

Mindy1975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mindy1975 Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 9:25pm
post #14 of 15

I have to draw out 3D cakes sometimes. And they have to be precise measurements too, especially if there are tons of details that have to be all in sync with each other. I have a 3D chevy crew cab truck I have to do for a wedding next week and lets just say that I have been drawing out the sides of the truck, and then matching up the windsheld diameter, and then drawing out the hood and the bed of the truck and making sure they all are the same width together, etc. That way, when it's time to carve, I have all these templates to guide me, and there is no question on how big everything needs to be. I work construction with my father, building log homes. I'd like to think sometimes I'm applying some good ol' carpentry skills to my cake work!

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 1:35am
post #15 of 15

I use Microsoft Publisher

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%