Help With Nicholas Lodge Gum Paste

Decorating By gerripje Updated 24 Jun 2009 , 3:43am by gerripje

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 10:23pm
post #1 of 9

Hi, I made a batch a few weeks ago and I think I used to much egg whites. Now it's sticky and on the soft side. Can I knead a little more PS into it or use corn starch? Or would I be better off making a new batch and working the two of them together? Thank you for any thoughts!

8 replies
keystone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keystone Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 1:00am
post #2 of 9

I would try some powdered sugar and knead it really well. Did you have it double bagged... do you think moisture got in? When you are done mixing the paste it shouldn't feel sticky. Good luck.

gerripje Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 4:44am
post #3 of 9

No moisture got in. I know when I was making it after I was almost done kneading, (I have no idea what possessed me to do this) I added just a little more egg whites. A few months ago, I got a tip to knead a little egg white in if your paste was dry. I am wondering if the changes in weather is affecting it a little. I will have worked with gum paste for one year in September, so I don't even know if it changes!! Blah... I guess sometimes trial and error is how you learn! Thank you and firstly, I will try kneading some PS in really well.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 4:54am
post #4 of 9

definetly, add some powder sugar in .. a little at the time. use some crisco on your hands. just a lilttle. it should be ok doing this. hth

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 7:30am
post #5 of 9

you can also add a little more tylose, I had a soft batch the other day, think my eggs was xxl, and I worked in some tylose and it came out great!

dutchy1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dutchy1971 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 1:40pm
post #6 of 9

my last 2 batches have turned out awful, does adding colour too it while still mixing affect the end results. I've always coloured my gum paste or fondant after it's made, but I needed a whole batch of yellow so added the colour while mixing. 1st one I threw out the 2nd one I ended up adding to fondant and it worked out well but on its own it was crumbling, I added shortening but it just crumbled.

gerripje Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 10:04pm
post #7 of 9

I was wondering about about more tylose to it. The first few times I had the CAI tylose and now have CK tylose. I'm sure that wouldn't make any difference, but seems like it sometimes.

kkitchen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kkitchen Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 10:09pm
post #8 of 9

Did you keep it in the fridge or at room temp? If in fridge ad a bit more powdered sugar and you can always work in tylose to desired consistency when you are actually modelling - if it was at room temp you may want to make a new batch. Also, use shortening on your hands and surface.

gerripje Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 3:43am
post #9 of 9

I have kept it, double bagged, in the fridge. I will try taking small amounts and kneading PS in and tylose. Is there a way that I would know if I added too much tylose? I know next time not to get any bright ideas and add more egg whites! Geez, I wonder why, why, why I do the things I do sometimes!! I have to order tylose so I hate wasting it by screwing up!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%