Ugh... So Unsatisfied And Frustrated

Decorating By Rylan Updated 27 Jun 2009 , 7:49pm by umgrzfn

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 6:05pm
post #31 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mara4tK

You are insane!!! That cake is sooooo beautiful! icon_smile.gif You did a great job. The brush embroidery is wonderful!

Mara

That's exactly what I thought when I saw the picture! You're crazy! icon_lol.gif We're our own worst critics, but that cake looks great.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 6:22pm
post #32 of 48

When I make black fondant it is really soft also..Just keep adding powdered sugar to it and knead it and it will stiffen up!!

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 7:20pm
post #33 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

When I make black fondant it is really soft also..Just keep adding powdered sugar to it and knead it and it will stiffen up!!

Wouldn't the sugar affect the color and make it look grey-ish?

I've tried using cocoa powder but not a lot... also why is my fondant starting to crack?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

To everyon - Thanks for the nice comments after all the problems.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 7:22pm
post #34 of 48

No...I haven't had that problem...If you make it black enough the powder just makes it stiffer not grey!

Rylan Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 8:04pm
post #35 of 48

Gotcha Kiddiekakes, thanks.

vnm42101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vnm42101 Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 8:35pm
post #36 of 48

I think your cake is beautiful, I wish all by cakes looked as good as yours.

About the cracking, it was brought up in another topic. I don't make many cakes but the ones I have made I use Satin Ice and I have loved it, never had a problem until this last 20# bucket I bought. The first couple of cakes I made I thought I was doing something wrong. I tried everything but it still cracked. And then I saw that other people are having the same problem. It appears to be worse when I color the fondant. Maybe they changed the formula or something?

Rylan Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 9:56pm
post #37 of 48

Hmmmfs maybe you are right. I tinted the leftovers from the 20lb bucket for my black fondant... but the other one was fine... do you think it's the batch I got?

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 1:37pm
post #38 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by RylanTy

You all made me smile after all the troubles. THANKS EVERYONE.

In my experience, adding tylose to a really soft black fondant doesn't really help. It tends to have a bad consistency.

Btw, have anyone of experienced a different texture on colored fondant. It seems to look different. Especially when you add lots color. If so, does powdered food coloring work good in fondant?

Your cake is gorgeous!!! We are always are own worst critic. Colored fondant can really be a pain, the gel colors add more glycerin to your fondant so usually you have to add more powdered sugar when adding color. Or, if you make your own fondant add the color in the mixing process so you can make your adjustments at that time, like more powdered sugar!! Keep up the great work!!

Cake4ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake4ever Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 2:23pm
post #39 of 48

Um, wish my cakes looked that "bad"! LOL.

I think the cake is beautiful and I would be thrilled to receive a cake like that.

On these occasions, it's best to step back and take a break, go have a green tea and relax. Come back in an hour or 2 and I bet you will think it's not as bad as you think.

I know your frustration, you want it to be so perfect and somehow feel disappointed in yourself. I think it just happens, some days the cake mojo isn't working! I had my bad day on my Father's Day cake, which I have not bothered to post yet. I will though! I think it's important to show your work and see for yourself where you have grown and what you can improve on. This cake was a learning experience and you can journal about it, so that you will remember what you want to change for the next cake. I write notes to myself on the back of my cake design paper and keep it.

You cake is gorgeous lady!

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 2:56am
post #40 of 48

Are you kidding me??? That cake is beautiful!! I think you were working with that fondant too long and inhaled too many fumes and it's got you thinking wacky.... That is a lovely cake....

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 4:38pm
post #41 of 48

I haven't read the last 2 pages of comments because I'm sending this and then have to go back to work.

couple of hints I have:
1. as you had your color, add some powdered sugar and shortening back into your fondant. I mix color in, then add some ps, then some more color etc, generously greasing my hands.
2. start with colored fondant scraps. I got that hint from Bronwen Weber during a demo she was doing. The next time I needed black, my store was out and it was too late to order. I took scraps of fpndant, regardless of the color, mixed them together and then added just a little black Americolor to it. It worked great and probably made 2 or 3 lbs of black fondant.

Katiekatiekatie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katiekatiekatie Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 4:47pm
post #42 of 48

oh my wow!!! That cake is GREAT!!! I can only hope that one day I can make a cake that can stand next to that cake!!!

I do believe we are always harder on ourselves but that being said I have seen cakes that I can give some suggestions on but this cake... NOTHING!!

Its GREAT!
Rylan I looked thru your photos and they are all wonderful. I am going to attempt the berry cake I saw you do!! ( one you tube) I have to also tell you that you are the reason I found Cake Central. I watched your video on you tube and you mentioned others and I found my way here thru that!

Thanks for inspiration!
Katie

Rylan Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 5:08am
post #43 of 48

Thanks ladies (and men if some of you are) for the input and suggestions.

Tracy, the scraps is a great idea! I have tons of scraps and that would be a great way of using those.

Katie, I'm glad you found CC. If you ever see a video of mines, try leaving your name so I can check your videos out.

Once again, THANKS EVERYONE! You all gave me a lot of motivation to give it another try.

DDarkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DDarkey Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 4:04pm
post #44 of 48

You are very talented - that cake is definitely creative. I think some times we tend to look outside for complement on our work. However, keep up the good work!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 4:47pm
post #45 of 48

I use the satin ice pre-colored black when I need black. MUCH easier than coloring white.

YOur cake is goreous, too.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 7:19pm
post #46 of 48

GORGEOUS cake Rylan, you are being WAY to hard on yourself.... but we are our own worst critic. But, there is nothing wrong with seeing just what you can improve next time around. That's how we achieve perfection or try to icon_smile.gif

I also use black Satin Ice and add a bit of my white choc. fondant to that to make it perform better, The color is so intense that adding a bit of my white still keeps it black.

Jennifer icon_smile.gif

kcw551 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcw551 Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 7:42pm
post #47 of 48

You are so funny! over a thousand views and 40+ favorites and you are disappointed in this cake? Beautiful cake, great job and stop beating yourself up! icon_smile.gif

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 27 Jun 2009 , 7:49pm
post #48 of 48

Rylan, I love you man...BUT...I'm gonna kick you in the A#^!!! You make fabulous cakes!!!!!! I'm gonna have to have a serious talk with you!! I wish I could make cakes turn out as fabulous as yours do! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%