First Time With Chocolate- Playing Cards- Help Please!

Sugar Work By evasmama Updated 21 Jun 2009 , 6:51pm by evasmama

evasmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evasmama Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 6:15am
post #1 of 4

I'm planning a poker themed birthday cake, and wanted to put hands of playing cards on the sides.

My idea was that I'd find a simple rectangular mold, make white chocolate pieces, and hand paint the cards with thinned gel color. I'd then "glue" them to the cake with buttercream.

I can't use playing card molds that have the number or suit on them already, because my design calls for aces and eights only.

Am I way off base with this technique? What are the supplies I'll need? Are they generally available at Michael's or Hobby Lobby? I don't have enough time to order online.

Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

3 replies
DecoratorJen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DecoratorJen Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 3:23pm
post #2 of 4

You could try designing something on your computer and find a local cake decorator/grocery store to print your design on an icing sheet. Then you just cut out the cards and stick to your icing, or you can roll out fondant and stick it to fondand and cut out in a card shape with a knife so it is thicker like a real card. Good luck with your project! icon_smile.gif

kokopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kokopuff Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 3:33pm
post #3 of 4

Maybe you could print a picture of the cards you need and then cover it in clear contact paper,like laminate, and then just remove them before cutting.

evasmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evasmama Posted 21 Jun 2009 , 6:51pm
post #4 of 4

Honestly, I prefer the hand painting idea. Painting is something I like to do on paper, but I've never really used it with cake decorating. Is it not recommended with chocolate or something?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%