Anything Good About Wilton?

Decorating By adree313 Updated 9 Jul 2009 , 6:42am by Annabakescakes

cindy1176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy1176 Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 5:19pm
post #61 of 84

I have taken the first two Wilton classes and am so glad I did! They gave me basics and now I have progressed to gumpaste flowers & other "higher end" classes. I use mostly Wilton tools, but am gradually buying Americolor colors, and I am learning that there is a whole world of decorating tools to use. These other decorating tools cost more, and I can't use a coupon, so therefore I still use Wilton more than any others. Wilton is what I started with and other than the "glue" that attaches the info paper to their pans, that won't come off to save my life, I have no issues with their pans...and I have a lot of those pans! That glue is the only thing I have ever been unhappy about Wilton. I use Wilton tips, pans, turntable, spatulas, bags and yearbooks. But most of my learning aside from the basics has come from this site and more advanced classes. Thanks CC members!

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 5:31pm
post #62 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

I think it's a sign of how much you've grown as a decorator when you realize that Wilton is just "entry level" product. And not necessarily "junk" ...... they are not really designed for professional use, so for what they are designed for, they work very well.

And it is entry level stuff ... they market to the average housewife who wants to make her kids' birthday cakes.

Some of us take it to the next level. And as we progress in our craft, and discover there's a whole new world of cake products out there (like or Chocopan instead of Wilton brand fondant!), then we begin to realize just how "non-professional" the wilton products are.

There is even a quality difference in something as simple as a white cardboard box to carry a cake in. Wilton's is practically paper thin!

As we begin to invest in ourselves and in our business, we begin to invest in higher quality products ... because we are becoming professionals and we want and need a higher quality, more professional product to work with.

Yeah, I have some wilton stuff in my cabinet .... but 95% of any new purchases are non-wilton items, simply because I've just grown out of them and I'm now playing with big girl toys! thumbs_up.gif

Couldn't have said it better! I had a bad experience with the Wilton box, trying to carry cupcakes in it. I needed a box in a pinch and the local craft store was the only place open. I'm still in the stages of using my Wilton supplies, but since becoming a CC'er, i'm seeing a whole new world of items i'd like to try out.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 5:54pm
post #63 of 84

If you are planning to do any candy molding the Wilton molds are no better or worse in quality than other brands in the same price range. There are expensive molds you can buy but they don't come in novelty shapes like the cheap ones. Wilton doesn't have the variety that other brands do but they do have some good designs that the others don't.

If you buy seasonal molds there is a good chance you can pick some up on clearence. Walmart always has a small section of Wilton products for things like Easter and Halloween and I've gotten quite a few for 50 cents a mold.

The two best molds I found this year from Wilton were a tombstone set that had interchangable bases for different looks and some Santas and snowmen that you molded onto candy canes.

The metal cookie cutters aren't terrible and again if you watch after holidays you might fill up on basic seasonal shapes cheaply. They aren't as good as copper cutters. My big complaint about Wilton's metal cutters is that the designs tend to be just basic shapes.

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 5:56pm
post #64 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by adree313

it also seems that a lot of people are very happy with the wilton classes. i have yet to take any, but after hearing so many good things about them i've started seriously considering it.

The classes are great! I've only taken the Wilton 1 so far, but next month I'm planning on taking Wilton 2 and getting more types of flowers under my belt. The timing is good, since the final cake for that is supposed to be a "basket" cake, and my mother LOVES those, and the final class is just a few days before her birthday! icon_biggrin.gif

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 7:16pm
post #65 of 84

I agree with previous posters that Wilton is a great starting point, but as your skills improve, you look for other tools. For example, since baking with Magic Line, I will never buy another wilton pan and have actually donated them to my BFF who is a beginner baker. They have served their purpose well, but it is time to move on and they can bless someone else!

I still use the low plastic turntable, the small rolling pin, the tool caddy, gumpaste flower cutters, disposable icing bags, spatulas, and Wilton tips. (I have the same exact problem with Ateco rusting).

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 8:10pm
post #66 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindy1176

other than the "glue" that attaches the info paper to their pans, that won't come off to save my life, I have no issues with their pans...and I have a lot of those pans! That glue is the only thing I have ever been unhappy about Wilton.

To get unwanted adhesive off of anything (picture frame glass, pans, etc.), I put a little oil on it. You can either spritz it with Pam or just rub some oil on it with your finger. Let it set for awhile, then scrape it off with your fingernail, a plastic knife, whatever. It works every time!

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 8:36pm
post #67 of 84

I like their cookie sheets, great deal with a coupon. I've made thousands of cookies on them and they hold up well. Their class books are great places to start learn piping skills

CookieMakinMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMakinMomma Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 10:40pm
post #68 of 84

I think of Wilton as the Farberware of decorating. icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Jun 2009 , 10:48pm
post #69 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMakinMomma

I probably should know, but what's Farberware? icon_confused.gif

Barb00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barb00 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 12:38am
post #70 of 84

Farberware is a brand of cookware; i.e. pots and pans, etc. Not the cheapest, but certainly nowhere near All Clad copper core!

CookieMakinMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieMakinMomma Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 1:23am
post #71 of 84
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMakinMomma

I probably should know, but what's Farberware? icon_confused.gif

Maybe I should say that Farberware is the Wilton of cookware! icon_lol.gif Wander down the pots n pans aisle of Walmart and you'll see little else. Kinda like wilton in the decorating section in craft stores. icon_wink.gif

adree313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adree313 Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 1:42am
post #72 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by miny

Well Adree you know you can count with hundreds of CCers as friends (me included) and you will never be alone, we are here for you day or night no matter what! On the other hand yes, take the wilton classes, it's a great way to learn the basics of cake decorating, and after that all you need is CC to learn new tricks! Good luck. thumbs_up.gif

thank you so much for this! it really made me smile and made me feel good. i love this site and all the wonderful people here! thank you thank you!

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 4:58am
post #73 of 84

Any time!!!

tmcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tmcakes Posted 23 Jun 2009 , 4:29pm
post #74 of 84
Quote:

I think it's a sign of how much you've grown as a decorator when you realize that Wilton is just "entry level" product. And not necessarily "junk" ...... they are not really designed for professional use, so for what they are designed for, they work very well.

And it is entry level stuff ... they market to the average housewife who wants to make her kids' birthday cakes.

Some of us take it to the next level. And as we progress in our craft, and discover there's a whole new world of cake products out there (like or Chocopan instead of Wilton brand fondant!), then we begin to realize just how "non-professional" the wilton products are.

There is even a quality difference in something as simple as a white cardboard box to carry a cake in. Wilton's is practically paper thin!

As we begin to invest in ourselves and in our business, we begin to invest in higher quality products ... because we are becoming professionals and we want and need a higher quality, more professional product to work with.

Yeah, I have some wilton stuff in my cabinet .... but 95% of any new purchases are non-wilton items, simply because I've just grown out of them and I'm now playing with big girl toys! thumbs_up.gif

Could not have said it any better than Indydebi. I have found Wilton products to be pretty good for the stuff I was doing as a hobby but now I have grown past the "entry level" in some things. But all in all when ever I am up against the wall and need something NOW I all ways grab my Wilton books and run to my local Hobby Lobby or Wal mart to pick up what I need!

cookiedoescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiedoescakes Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 3:13pm
post #75 of 84

As with anyting in life you must find what works for you. I dont belive in one thing being less effective than another just because it cost less. I am just starting out and I have lots of Wilton Products. I find that most of them have worked well. As you grow and your business grows you may move on to other products. But always remember where you started. And if you have taken Wilton classes... You started with Wilton products.

bostonterrierlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bostonterrierlady Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 5:00pm
post #76 of 84

I have the roundset from Wilton. I have had it for years. I have had no problems with it at all. I find most of the problems just fine. Not all but most are fine.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 5:14pm
post #77 of 84

When I first started out, I had no problems with any of the wilton stuff, but I'm tellin' ya, once you try some of the better items, you'll wonder how you ever managed to deal with some of the wilton stuff, especially the pans.

As a kid, I loved fried Hormel Canned Spam. When I grew up and exposed my taste buds to better food items, that good 'ole fried spam just didn't do it for me the way it used to! icon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif

chrissypie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissypie Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 5:30pm
post #78 of 84

I have to say I love almost all the wilton products. The only things I don't like are that blasted icing comb with removable parts! ( seems no one likes it! I thought I was just an idiot who couldn't figure it out.) and the taste of Wilton fondant. Although I like the fondant for bows and such. Other than that, I have never had a problem with anything. As others have said, the availability is what makes it great. And the fact that you can use coupons at Michaels. I also supplement with higher end items. I guess it just seems to go that way. Almost all my pans are wilton and I love them. I use magic line for the squares but I love the round wilton. I see no
need to upgrade them right now! I also loved my wilton classes, so much so I am taking them again just for fun! Why not, I have all the supplies! LOL!

Good Luck and HTH.

LittleLadyBabyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLadyBabyCakes Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 5:36pm
post #79 of 84

Glad to see Wilton getting redeemed. It sounds like the cousin that everyone loves to be around, but really enjoys talking about!

sallene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sallene Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 5:45pm
post #80 of 84

I like the pans that I have (ball, a couple of sizes of round, mini ball) , the tips, the disposable decorating bags, and some of the fondant tools.

I don't like the color gels and I HATE the fondant. Bleh.

Butterpatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterpatty Posted 24 Jun 2009 , 7:38pm
post #81 of 84

IRL I have a stresssful job in a hospital, so my baking/decorating is strictly for fun, friends, and family. Wilton works fine for me under these parameters. I do someday hope to progress to next-step-up pans icon_smile.gif . I enjoy being able to get basic decorating stuff with the 40-50% coupons and it has helped me be less timid about trying new stuff because the cost is kept lower.

I will say that after reading about Satin Ice here, I purchased a small container ($15) at the local cake deco shop and I was so pleased with it that I plan to stick with it for most stuff. I do still buy the Wilton fondant for practicing my flowers and figures. I also agree about the boxes and now only buy ones from cake shop (SO much better!). icon_redface.gif - I actually like the fondant ribbon cutter thingie icon_redface.gif . When I first tried it, it was horrible but then one day I decided I would not let it defeat me and I discovered thru trial and error how to adjust that tension just right. Now I like the thing!

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 2:33am
post #82 of 84

I use mostly Wilton and have never had a problem.. except with the taste of their fondant and thier crappy sparkle dust stuff. They only recently began to sell luster dust type of stuff, but it's a little late. Other than that, they work fine and are affordable.

superwawa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superwawa Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 3:24am
post #83 of 84

Ditto to the replies talking about availability - I have no car at the moment and I can get to Michaels and WalMart on foot (plus a random no-name party store that sells tons of Wilton goodies) so that is where I head in a pinch.

But I have to say THANK YOU to all the cc'ers with their advice and guidance - I am a newbie on here, but I am eager to upgrade some of my supplies and try new items so the feedback and advice on here is great. After years as a hobby baker (mostly carved, fun, character-type cakes for network of kids/families I babysat for) I took a few years off, moved to three new states and have now settled a bit. I am picking up more orders from "strangers" and have hooked up with someone who just started a catering company, so I will be expected to do tons of wedding cakes now icon_smile.gif

Oh, and I recently received that Wilton Icing Comb thing as a gift - based on the comments I think I should never even try it!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 9 Jul 2009 , 6:42am
post #84 of 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I'm with Indy. I'm constantly transitioning to more pro level products. I do have Wilton and Ateco spatulas and don't see a difference. My experience with the Wilton pans is that they are simply inferior to Magic Line. I like the W ribbon cutter, but I must be the only one. Whoever designed that decorating comb with the interchangeable teeth should be slapped.

For entry level stuff it's OK.

Bwahahah!! Snort![/u][/i]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%