Marble Cake Question

Baking By BSeechoma Updated 25 Jun 2009 , 10:24pm by BillaCakes

BSeechoma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BSeechoma Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 5:29pm
post #1 of 6

I was asked to make a cake for my mother in laws birthday. Half the family like chocolate the other white so my sister in law asked me to make a marble cake and wants strawberry and bananas to be in the middle with whipped icing as frosting. Do you think the strawberry and bananas would be a good combo with the marble cake? Should I just slice the fruit and layer it in the middle or mix it with another filling? I would appreciate any help. I have not made a marble cake in forever and when I do I really can't get that perfect marble appearance.
Thanks
Brandy

5 replies
erincc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erincc Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 11:58pm
post #2 of 6

I think that sounds great! Using fresh fruit would be the simplest solution, or you could fold strawberry jam into the whipped icing and then layer in the bananas. The problem with using fresh fruit is that you can't make the cake too far in advance. I've never done fresh bananas in a cake so I don't know how long they keep. Strawberries are okay for a few days.

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 20 Jun 2009 , 5:33pm
post #3 of 6

Bananas keep good in cake as long as you put it in something, like a pudding or custard. They don't brown because they're not exposed to the air. Just slice the bananas and get them in the custard ASAP, make your dam, fill it and put on the next layer. Strawberries - I've been told to take a damp cloth & wipe them off, not to wash them in water.

BillaCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BillaCakes Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 3:56am
post #4 of 6

Spritz your bananas with a little lemon juice, it should help reduce the amount of browning if you use fresh. I've heard somewhere else of crushing up Vitamin C tablets and then mixing them in water and briefly soaking the fruit in it as the Vit C stops the oxidation from the air. The marble cake with strawberries and bananas sounds delish, like a sundae! Yum! You should totally call it a Banana Split cake icon_smile.gif

raya_raya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raya_raya Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 2:37pm
post #5 of 6

Any good recepi for Marble cake ? I have an order , but never done a Marble cake before .
What filling are you going to use ?

BillaCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BillaCakes Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 10:24pm
post #6 of 6

I did a butter cake recipe for a Dr. Seuss grad cake for my sister in law and I dyed half of it lemon yellow and the other half hot pink, then swirled them together lightly. In some places it turned orange which was really cool (wish I had a picture now to show you, dang!). Most recipes I've seen for marble cake are a white cake batter swirled with a chocolate cake batter, but I bet you could take that a step further and mix two coordinating flavors (dyed different colors if needed). Oooh, now I'm going to have to try that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%