Are You Going To See The Crumbs???

Decorating By blackice Updated 19 Jun 2009 , 4:37pm by blackice

blackice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blackice Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 5

Ok I'm working on a 5 tier wedding cake for tomorrow. I just crumb coated the bottom tier (14"), I have chocolate crumbs everywhere in the frosting...are they going to show through my fondant? Should I apply another layer of buttercream?

4 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 4:22pm
post #2 of 5

With practice, you can achieve a state of NO crumbs in your icing whatsoever. Take your time, swipe your spatula/bench scraper/knife whatever only in one direction, don't spread it on there like butter on toast. That pulls crumbs up and makes a mess. I wouldn't worry about it showing unless your crumbs are really "chunks", that stick out and make lumps. If you are nice and smooth all the way around, you should be fine.

My concern would rather be, is that crumbcoat thick enough so your chocolate cake isn't showing through your fondant? Like a slip showing through a sheer dress.....are you using white or light colored fondant over the dark cake?

blackice Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 4:29pm
post #3 of 5

I'm covering it with white fondant. The crumbs aren't chunky, I was going to maybe do the viva towel method to smooth it out before applying the fondant to make sure it was smooth...thanks for your help and suggestionsicon_smile.gificon_wink.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 4:31pm
post #4 of 5

I'd put one more coat of buttercream but honestly a few crumbs aren't going to show through the fondant as long as the surface is not bumpy.

blackice Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 4:37pm
post #5 of 5

Bette safe than sorry right? Thanks so much icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%