Luster Dust For The Gold On A Cake That Looks Like A Can?

Decorating By fabulosity Updated 19 Jun 2009 , 3:37pm by txnonnie

fabulosity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabulosity Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:22pm
post #1 of 7

Ok, so I am making a cake that looks like a can of chili...it is for a grooms cake. The cake is to looks like a can of "dixie chili". I have looked at every image available on the internet, I was not notified enough ahead of time so that I could order a can online...they don't sell it here. The groom orders it online and it is his favorite thing. The bride contacted me about doing this as a surprise for the groom. I personally can't wait to see what it looks like next to the wedding cake that I am not doing. Anyway, the top of this can is a gold color...but not a shiny gold like gold luster dust gives you. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I would do this?

The cake is going to be standing...4 6in cakes stacked. It is going to be buttercream with fondant accents.

6 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:25pm
post #2 of 7

There is a lustre dust called Antique Gold and it is more muted than a bright gold..That may be what you are looking for!

amazon007db Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amazon007db Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:34pm
post #3 of 7

The antique gold is the luster dust color I used on my Guinness Cake. I mixed with a little vodka and painted it.

fabulosity Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:38pm
post #4 of 7

Hopefully, I can find that. Thanks a lot!

2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:45pm
post #5 of 7

Fabulosity: can the bride or any of the family sneak you a can of the groom's chili since he gets it online? (Hopefully he hasn't eaten it all!) That way you can see the exact can rather than pictures.

fabulosity Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 1:51pm
post #6 of 7

I really never asked...that would have been a great question tho. I have to deliver this tomorrow and the gold is all that I have left to do. I have the red of the can, the white and black on the bottom. I just have to make the top and do the lettering...in gold. I think that I will look for the luster dust that they are talking about and maybe make the fondant on the top yellow with the gold Wilton gel colors. Maybe then it will not take so much of the luster dust to make it look more gold than yellow.

That is the way that I was leaning when I posted this. I was looking for someone to say that I was on the right track...or throw on the E-brake. And praying that it would not be shiny like a disco ball. LOL!

The girl that I am doing this for is so super nice and just wants it to be as close as possible. I am sure that she would not mind if it was shiny...I am just slightly OCD and it would bug me.

txnonnie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
txnonnie Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 3:37pm
post #7 of 7

I was making eye glasses last night. I make them with a touch of yellow and then covered with the gold luster dust. It was not as shiny as what I had used before on a white base fondant. So I think you are on the right track.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%