Wilton Corse 1 Question!!! First Class In Tonight!!

Decorating By CanadianCakin Updated 19 Jun 2009 , 2:43pm by nicki9774

CanadianCakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianCakin Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 8:34pm
post #1 of 13

So I got a call about 20 minutes ago saying the time is at 6 not 6:30, and we need to bring BC and a cake....which I was not previously aware of should have figured though! But on the sheets it says cake and BC for all the other classes but this one!!
Anyhow...I was wondering I'm guessing we will be doing crumbcoat and icing maybe borders...but will we being doing filling and torting too or should I do that before??
Thanks Millions!!! icon_biggrin.gif

12 replies
nicki9774 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicki9774 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 8:39pm
post #2 of 13

Please tell me where you are taking your class, I'm an instructor and its not required on the first night of class

zubia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zubia Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 8:39pm
post #3 of 13

I am sure you only have to take pen and paper for your first class.How can you take butter cream without getting the recipe.In first lesson the Instructor shows you how to make butter cream witon way and covers her cake with it to TEACH you how to do it for next class.
It must be a mistake.Donot take any thing.

zubia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zubia Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 8:41pm
post #4 of 13

Oh I should add ,Iam a witon instructor ,and any way if its your first lesson you donot have the book so No recipe either.

CanadianCakin Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 8:46pm
post #5 of 13

She told me to get the recipe off their website! I'm thinking that we have to bring because I was reading about the courses and correct me if I'm wrong, but they are usually 4 classes each? Well This one is 2 -3 hour classes....I am on Vancouver Island In British Columbia, Canada so now I really don't know what to do!
It sounds typical though everything that happens in my town is always screwed up as opposed to everywhere else!

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 8:57pm
post #6 of 13

for my first Wilton 1 class all we neede was our pen and paper. for the rest of the course we had to bring in an already iced cake and icing in bags with a coupler on them.

nicki9774 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 9:04pm
post #7 of 13

Canada may be different, but it is up to the instructor how the class is taught and Wilton gives a guideline that we as instructors should follow. Do you need help with a recipe or anything else, I'll be glad to help if you need it!

mazaryk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mazaryk Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 9:09pm
post #8 of 13

As an instructor this would be my guess, your instructor is combining lesson 1-2 and then 3-4. so if this is the case you will need med consistency icing for lesson 1-2.
You may want to ask you instructor what consistency of buttercream to bring. For roses you will need stiff, for writing and leaves thin and for just about everything else med. Also I would confirm amounts you should bring. plan on coloring your icing in class and bring extra bowls and spoons......again just my guess

let us know how it goes ....very interesting

AXOCutie143 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AXOCutie143 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 9:18pm
post #9 of 13

If you're making the Rainbow or Piped Star Flower cake in your first class (and if your classes are combined then you probably are), the book says you need 1 1/3 cup medium, 1 cup stiff, and 1/2 cup thin. I made all of my colors ahead of time, but since you have a longer class, you can probably do it there.

If your instructor is following the course, you'll do the star tip, writing, and the first part of the Wilton rose.

As far as torting, maybe just bring a round cake, and whatever filling you want to use and the instructor will show you how to tort and fill there?

CanadianCakin Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 9:31pm
post #10 of 13

Yeah Thats the confusion I'm having do they usually do torting there or should I do at home??

AXOCutie143 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AXOCutie143 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 10:42pm
post #11 of 13

For my Wilton classes that I'm currently taking, we are supposed to tort, fill and ice the cakes beforehand. Is there any way to contact your instructor?

CanadianCakin Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 5:23am
post #12 of 13

Ok so Had the class and she did combine class 1 and 2, 3 and 4. We went through the book then we practiced with the star tip and writting on the practice boards then she told us to ice and decorate our cakes. That was 'bout it. Overall I wasn't impressed.

She didn't talk about proper crumb coating or icing techniques at all. All I have to say is I'm sure glad I have you guys! The lady across from me had crumbs all over ice job! But not me because I learned it all from you!
I dunno I hope all the classes aren't like that I am hoping it's just this one I was really looking forward to learning some things.

nicki9774 Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 2:43pm
post #13 of 13

Please let me know who your instructor is and where you are taking the class because we have different accounts like Hobby Lobby, Michaels and so on. I can bring it to my supervisors attention and we can get it taken care of, that is crazy you brought a cake to your 1st class was she trying to scare you off. I believe in hands on but really give it a chance.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%