How The I Change The Background Of My Cake Pictures?

Decorating By paula19 Updated 26 Jun 2009 , 1:54am by paula19

paula19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula19 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 6:32pm
post #1 of 19

I want to give my cake pictures a better presentation, and pretty much I just know how to do the basics: adding text, frame, highlight, etc. But right now I'm doing panda cupcakes and I want to have a baboo forest background. Is there a way to outline the cupcakes and transfer them to a picture of a bamboo forest or something like that? There's such thing right? If there is, how? I want to know how to change the background for other pictures too. TIA icon_smile.gif

18 replies
ski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ski Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 6:42pm
post #2 of 19

You can google backgrounds, then find a site with what you want. Someyou have to pay for, but once you save them, you can just copy them anduse over andover. ou then just cut and paste to the pic ...your cakepic on top.

rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 6:47pm
post #3 of 19

I'm not sure if there are easier or free/cheaper ways to do this but I use Photoshop and there is a tool for that.

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 6:48pm
post #4 of 19

I talked to a photographer recently he said, you need to take your cake picture with a green screen in the back, then with photoshop you can change the background.

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 6:52pm
post #5 of 19

send me your picture I an do it for you

paula19 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 6:52pm
post #6 of 19

I think I know what you mean, ski. I had done that. I googled and found the background I want, and I know how to put my picture on top, but the thing is, I want to outline just the panda cupcakes and move them to the bamboo forest background to make it look like the panda cupcakes are in the forest, you know? I don't want my kitchen table to show in the forest, only the cupcakes detective.gif

paula19 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 7:01pm
post #7 of 19

icon_biggrin.gif thanks for the offer psurrette. it's really nice of you, but I would like to try it myself. I want to learn how to do it so that whenever I want to change other pics I know how to do it. I wouldn't want to have to keep asking other people to do it for me, you know? I appreciate it though icon_biggrin.gif .... So is the only way to do it photoshop? Or is there another way? I don't have photoshop icon_sad.gif

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 7:25pm
post #8 of 19

I only use photoshop I am sure ther eis soemthing other than it you can do it with/

His_snowflake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
His_snowflake Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 5:08am
post #9 of 19

My son told me there is free photo editing software to download called Gimp. I don't know how to use any photo editing software so I can't tell you how well it works.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 5:12am
post #10 of 19

If you take your picture on a solid color background that doesn't appear in your cake, that will make it easier to change your background. You need some kind of photo editing software...photoshop is the gold standard of photo editing programs but I had it before and it was too hard to figure out just for a few cakes icon_biggrin.gif I'm using paint shop pro now, it's much cheaper and a little more user-friendly. It's hard to change the backgrounds on it though without it looking weird.

Amymnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amymnn Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 5:15am
post #11 of 19

I just bought some silky cheap black fabric at Walmart. I cover a foam board for the background with the black fabric and lay the remainder of the fabric on my table to create an dark background. It made my photos look a lot better and put the focus on the cake. The fabric was only $2 a yard. You could also decorate the area around the cake with rose petals or other decor that matches the cake design. The black fabric will keep the focus on the cake and the motif. icon_smile.gif

paula19 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 3:59am
post #12 of 19

Thanks everyone for your answers :] btw, here's the pic of how the panda cupcakes came out... http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1400511

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 4:07am
post #13 of 19

I use fotoflexer it's an online tool and free

http://fotoflexer.com/app/

varika Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
varika Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 4:12am
post #14 of 19

As His Snowflake said, you can use Gimp. (www. gi mp. org without spaces) It's free. It's going to be a lot of work, though, because you will have to manually trace around each cupcake. If I were doing it--and I have a degree in this stuff--it would probably take me around 4-5 hours. It will probably take you a bit longer.

Next time, set them on a piece of bright, really saturated-green posterboard. The neon green works great. It makes it easier to use your "select color" tool, and makes it go much, much faster.

You can use this for other cakes, as well. It's not strictly speaking NECESSARY, but it makes it incredibly less of a headache.

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 5:20am
post #15 of 19

These are all great ideas!

kimkait Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimkait Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 1:35pm
post #16 of 19

I really like Corel Paint shop Prox2. It has an airbrush tool you can airbrush a new background in in about 15 minutes. It has a 30 day free trial. http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite/us/en/Product/1184951547051#versionTabview=tab1&tabview=tab0
LL

paula19 Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 11:35pm
post #17 of 19

Thank you so much kimkait! That is sooo cool! I saved the picture in my computer icon_biggrin.gif I think I'll upload it here in my photos too! You got me all happy when I saw the picture icon_biggrin.gif I already uploaded gimp yesterday though. But I still need to get the hang of it. Again, thank you kimkait icon_biggrin.gif

jimandmollie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jimandmollie Posted 25 Jun 2009 , 11:54pm
post #18 of 19

Check out the tutorials page on Gimp. I use it all the time. It does get easier as you figure it out. I could have done that with your pic in about 20 minutes. I HIGHLY recommend Gimp. You can also make animations with it once you start figuring it out better. Good luck!

paula19 Posted 26 Jun 2009 , 1:54am
post #19 of 19

Again, thanks, all of you. These are all great ideas icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%