Transporting And Timeline For Delivering Cake (Long, Sorry)

Decorating By sweetpea1972 Updated 18 Jun 2009 , 11:52pm by sweetpea1972

sweetpea1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea1972 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 6

Hi,

I posted awhile back about transporting a cake 10.5 hrs away and got some great advice. Now, the date is getting closer (next Friday) and I"m starting to freak out! If I could get a bit more advice I would be so appreciative!!

Here is the breakdown: 4-tiered hexagon shaped cake, covered in fondant (I use Sugarshack's icing). The bottom layer will have raspberry filling (the rest of the layers will just be icing). Between each layer will be a 2" styrofoam dummy covered with GP bamboo.

I'm taking everything separately, each tier and setting it up there. That being said we have to leave Friday at noon, we're driving 1/2 way and the rest of the way Sat. The wedding is Sunday afternoon.

My plan is to bake and freeze the smaller layers Monday and thaw and fill Thursday. Bake the largest layer Thursday (I can't fit them into the freezer), cool and fill, and get up REALLY early Friday and cover them with fondant. I figure I'll do the detail work in the hotel Saturday (what was I thinking!)

I guess my actual questions are:
does this timeline sound OK. I usually bake two days before, decorate one before then deliver. I've never had this much time lapse before and am a little worried, and,
with the styrofoam separators...do you still put supports into it?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 4:00pm
post #2 of 6

My only concern would be that you're not giving yourself enough time on saturday to drive 5 hours, set your cake up and finish decorating it. Unless its a very simple design. I think I'd try to make the whole drive, or at least most of it on friday so that you'll save that time on saturday for the rest of it.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 4:03pm
post #3 of 6

If you think you can get cover them in fondant Friday morning and get all the detail work done Saturday then the time line sounds fine. Just don't short yourself in case anything goes wrong. Doesn't matter what you are stacking you still need supports in each tier of cake. The styrofoam will support the tier above it but what will support the styrofaom and the tier that is sitting on it?

hollyh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hollyh Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 4:09pm
post #4 of 6

I will be driving 10 hours next Friday with a 3 tier fondant cake. Do you mind sharing any pointers you received on the best way to travel that far with a cake? Thanks!

pattigunter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattigunter Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 4:18pm
post #5 of 6

Dont stack it till you get there!

sweetpea1972 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetpea1972 Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 11:52pm
post #6 of 6

The wedding isn't until Sunday afternoon so I'm not too concerned about the time for decorating. I was more concerned about the freshness of the cake.

hollyh - my biggest advice (although I still haven't done it yet) is take every piece separate, box everything well and take ALOT of extra supplies just in case.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%