Scratch Cakers - Please Help!!

Baking By MrsNewBaker Updated 19 Jun 2009 , 8:53pm by maryjsgirl

MrsNewBaker Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 12:49pm
post #1 of 4

I have a question - I must be doing something wrong I tried a recipe that called for AP flour and it was dry and reminded me of cornbread, so I tried a recipe that called for cake flour and that was way too dense. What do i look for in a recipe to get that inbetween texture kinda dense yet cakey but supermoist? icon_cry.gif

Also when im testing recipes im trying them in cupcake form is that a mistake??

TIA

3 replies
erincc Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 4:51pm
post #2 of 4

Not all cake recipes translate into cupcakes well. That may be part of your problem. I always use cake flour in my recipes, I know what you mean about the "cornbread" texture. What recipe did you try? And what specifically are you looking for? Then maybe I or someone else can give you a few ideas for recipes.

umgrzfn Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 5:14pm
post #3 of 4

It would help to know what recipe you are using. However, here are a couple of things you can add to make the cake more moist...sour cream, apple sauce, pudding, yogart (unflavored or flavored)
HTH

maryjsgirl Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 8:53pm
post #4 of 4

Check out the yellow cake scratch off thread in the general forums. We are testing different yellow cakes and sharing our outcomes. You may find a recipe to try.

Look for recipes that call for buttermilk or sour cream. They tend to be more moist and tender.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%