Scratch Cakers - Please Help!!

Baking By MrsNewBaker Updated 19 Jun 2009 , 8:53pm by maryjsgirl

MrsNewBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsNewBaker Posted 18 Jun 2009 , 12:49pm
post #1 of 4

I have a question - I must be doing something wrong I tried a recipe that called for AP flour and it was dry and reminded me of cornbread, so I tried a recipe that called for cake flour and that was way too dense. What do i look for in a recipe to get that inbetween texture kinda dense yet cakey but supermoist? icon_cry.gif

Also when im testing recipes im trying them in cupcake form is that a mistake??

TIA

3 replies
erincc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erincc Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 4:51pm
post #2 of 4

Not all cake recipes translate into cupcakes well. That may be part of your problem. I always use cake flour in my recipes, I know what you mean about the "cornbread" texture. What recipe did you try? And what specifically are you looking for? Then maybe I or someone else can give you a few ideas for recipes.

umgrzfn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umgrzfn Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 5:14pm
post #3 of 4

It would help to know what recipe you are using. However, here are a couple of things you can add to make the cake more moist...sour cream, apple sauce, pudding, yogart (unflavored or flavored)
HTH

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 19 Jun 2009 , 8:53pm
post #4 of 4

Check out the yellow cake scratch off thread in the general forums. We are testing different yellow cakes and sharing our outcomes. You may find a recipe to try.

Look for recipes that call for buttermilk or sour cream. They tend to be more moist and tender.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%